Sigma Tau Delta’s Book Swap Get Books New Life

By Kyle Hottin

In the lobby of Webb Hall on February 21st and 22nd, Sigma Tau Delta, Eastern’s English Honors Society, hosted its second Book Swap. The first was held last November with high regards. During this iteration, students and teachers were able to browse through a variety of books, from children’s to archaeology textbooks, which were donated from the English department as well as members within Sigma. Those interested in what they saw were given two different “payment methods”: one could either spend a dollar for one book (or get three for the price of two) or they could trade in their own books. No matter what method they chose, people were able to leave with new reading material and satisfaction. On the other side of the table, the money that was raised during this event is aimed to be used to support member of Sigma who cannot afford the expenses for an upcoming trip to the Mark Twain Museum and the Harriet Beecher Stowe Center.

Though the funding aimed to help Sigma members, it however does not mean that patrons were left without benefits. Over the course of two days, the people who stopped by were not only excited to see a sale like this, but they were also happy that these books were being given a second chance at life. Physical books can currently be seen as a modern day hassle, especially with the rise of digital, and especially convenient, solutions. Physical books can take up space, get damaged, be left unread, and of course carry a steep price tag. Sigma Tau Delta’s response, specifically the action of giving longevity to used books, certainly provides a worthwhile rebuttal. For those who may have missed this event, there will be another Book Swap from March 22nd to the 24th in the same location.