The Process of Applying for Internships

Elena Sorrentino   Managing Editor

As a junior in college, I feel as though there is a certain amount of pressure to get an internship. The last summer before graduation is coming up and it seems like it is the final time to get some form of experience before being thrown out into the real world of possible unemployment. Due to this, I feel as though every free moment I’ve had over the past semester has been nagged by a feeling of necessity. Even when I am done with schoolwork, there are still applications that I could be working on. I feel like I’ve applied to so many, but with very little to result from them. As someone that holds themselves to relatively high expectations, this lack of progress can be discouraging. It is getting a little bit late in the process, but if anyone else is facing similar stress, there are a few techniques that I’ve been using to keep myself relaxed and on task.

I think the biggest thing that I keep reminding myself whenever I don’t hear  back or get a rejection is that it is out of my control. I can work on a cover letter for hours, but if someone who has more experience or different skills also applies, then they are going to get the job. Specifically, I’ve been applying to a lot of large publishing companies, and I have to remind myself that they get thousands of candidates for very few positions. Staying confident in myself has been difficult, but super important to the process. After one application in particular, I realized that I had a typo in my cover letter and had a breakdown. Thinking about how one small mistake destroyed over an hour of work was a super disheartening feeling, and made me question applying to anywhere else.

Whenever these emotions or feelings come over me, I just step away, and take a break. When I’m ready, I step back and start looking at other listings. Finding other possible positions that are just as exciting gives me hope. There are so many possibilities and one rejection isn’t the end of my future- it is just the opportunity for alternate options.

If you haven’t started applying to summer positions, or are currently in the process, just remember that it isn’t too late. There are tons of resources online where you can find listings and work on applications. The career fair is April 2, and following up with businesses you meet there or simply going to the Career Sphere to work on your resume is a huge step. Thinking about the future can be stressful. However, I’ve learned that taking it one step at a time helps. All you can do is your own personal best, and that is all you should ask yourself to do.