CAB Brings the Beach to Eastern Students

Danielle Romanelli   Staff Writer

If you didn’t have the chance to attend CAB’s (Campus Activity Board) beach themed event that took place on Wednesday, April 4, you definitely missed out! This fun themed event took place in the Student Center from 6 to 8 p.m., and there was so much to do.

The first thing that I did when I got to the event was ride the mechanical shark, which was a lot harder than it looked. My friends all got around ten seconds, and I was barely able to stay on for five. After I rode the shark, I was given a free t-shirt from CAB and a free ticket that allowed me to enter into a raffle for either a gift card or an air diffuser. Though I didn’t win, I am glad I got to play! Next, CAB also had a make your own zen garden, where you were able to use different colored sands, rocks, and shells to make a, well, mini zen garden. I chose pink and blue with a lot of shells, but there were tons of different fun combinations to choose from.

Later on, there were free smoothies. Though normally priced at $3.95 in the Student Center, it was a sigh of relief to get something I love for free. In addition, there were also “beach” themed snacks such as various fruits, namely a lot of pineapple. After I finished eating, I was able to go and get my picture taken with my friends. There were lots of funny “beachy” props to choose from like leis, straw hats, grass skirts, and signs with funny puns on them. Then, you were able to get your photograph taken in front of a beach themed backdrop, and a CAB member even gave you the Polaroid picture.

Finally, the last thing before I went back to my dorm was definitely my favorite. There was flavored oxygen at an oxygen bar! Although it seemed very strange, I was excited to try something new. I wore a rubber tube that went into your nose, and attached the other end of the tube into a machine. You were then able to turn this machine up and down in order to taste different flavors! It was all oxygen, and was very fun and an interesting experience. There were about twenty flavors to choose from, my favorite being the strawberry.

All in all, I very much enjoyed this event and I can’t wait to see what else Eastern has for events such as these. If you missed this event, make sure to swing by the Spring Fest that CAB is hosting. Last year, they had great food and rides for students to enjoy, as well as the best part – the concert! If it’s anything like Life’s a Beach, I’m sure it’s going to be full of fun and interesting activities.

“There was ‘Flavored Oxygen’ at an oxygen bar! Although it seemed strange, I was excited to try something new[…] There were about twenty flavors to choose from, my favorite being strawberry.”