Career and Internship Fair Lacks Variety

Allison Brown   Staff Writer

If you walked anywhere near the gym Wednesday, April 4, you would have noticed the excess amounts of balloons and tables filled with information pamphlets, resumes, and potential job descriptions. Eastern hosted its biannual Career and Internship Fair. Outside companies from all across CT came to talk to students regarding internships or postgraduate job opportunities. The fair itself is a valuable resource that the Career and Internship Center offers to students for free. It is a great way to network with professionals in your field and understand what jobs are available in this area. Not every college presents their students with such professional opportunities.

However, as a student, I think the Career and Internship fair would have been more successful had it been earlier. UConn (The University of Connecticut) had their career fair a month before Eastern’s. This allows more time for students to apply and hear back from potential internships to gain experience from their chosen majors. Personally, I have already secured a summer internship, but if I had still been looking, not many vendors were offering summer internships mainly because the timeline would be too short to hire candidates. If administration could not have made the event any earlier due to unforeseen circumstances, there should have definitely been two career fairs, one towards the beginning and one towards the end of the semester. Additionally, I think there could have been a stronger variety of majors represented among the employers. There were several employers for the business, finance, education, and health fields. Yet, there were few tables centered on English, communication, graphic design or the performing arts. Considering Eastern is a liberal arts school, we have a broad range of students graduating in different disciplines. I think this fair failed to highlight that important pillar.

Additionally, had the fair lasted more than just a few hours, more students would have come. I overheard some outside employers wondering if classes on campus had just ended since there was an influx of students around the last half hour. Extending the duration would have allowed more students to not only come visit the fair, but come dressed to be considered for future job offerings within a certain company. With some minor improvements, the career and internship fair will become a staple weapon in Eastern’s resources to help students graduate with a secured job.

“There were several employers for the business, finance, education, and health fields. Yet, there were few tables centered on English, communication, graphic design or the performing arts.”