Sports

Warrior Seniors Go Out in Style

Tyler Madden   Staff Writer

It was Senior Day at the Mansfield Athletic Complex on April 21st as both of Eastern’s Lacrosse Teams were in action.

In the first match of the day Eastern’s Women’s Lacrosse Team (8-6) took on Keene State (7-7). Eastern came out strong to start the game getting out to an early lead. They led Keene State by three goals at halftime. In the second half Eastern stretched their lead out to five goals, but Keene turned up their intensity and scored six unanswered goals to gain the two-point lead with a score of 13-11. Eastern’s Katie Burke who led the team with four goals scored two in the final minutes to bring the game into overtime with a score of 13-13. In the sudden death style overtime, every possession mattered. Eastern never gave up the ball and Katie Burke scored the game winning free position goal with 1:36 remaining in the overtime period to bring Eastern to a 14-13 victory. It marked the fourth straight time that the teams have played a one-goal decision, Eastern winning for the third straight time.
If the crowd thought it couldn’t get anymore exciting at the Mansfield Athletic Complex, Eastern’s Men’s Lacrosse Team (7-6) took the field as they matched up against Plymouth State (6-8). As the second half got underway Plymouth State scored four unanswered goals to gain a 9-5 lead over Eastern after the third period. With Eastern trailing 10-8 after Chris Waterbury scored his third goal of the second half with 1:45 left, Matt Robidoux proceeded to win the next three faceoffs. Trevor Ross gained control of the first faceoff and Rougeot potted his 20th of the season to make it 10-9 with 69 seconds left. Anthony Choronzy picked up the ground ball to ensure the next faceoff win, and after Rougeot’s attempt sailed wide, Urda nailed his 28th of the season with 14 seconds left in regulation.
Kyle Stockman won the overtime faceoff for Plymouth, the ground ball picked up by Sam McCoy, but Eastern goalie Chris Gorman gave the Warriors the only chance they needed after making his 13th and final save on Casey Elkins’ bid with just under a minute gone in sudden death.
Zel saved Urda’s initial shot on the possession but he got another opportunity off a pass from Connor Wyllie and made it count 63 seconds into overtime.
Urda finished with four goals and two assists, Rougeot three goals and an assist. Robidoux won nine of 14 faceoffs. Ross picked up six ground balls and Anthony Choronzy and Ralph Criscuolo three each.
Kerkel was credited with 14 saves for Plymouth, six coming when Eastern unloaded 17 fourth-quarter shots and scored five times. Stockman was 11-of-24 from the faceoff X and Charlie Harrington won six ground balls.
The outcome marked the third time in the last four meetings that one goal has separated the teams; the team’s splitting the first two decisions.