Sports

NFL Week 3 Predictions

Marquist Parker   Sports Editor

The NFL season is already in full swing heading into week 3. While some teams are optimistic about their season after starting 2-0, some teams are inching closer to the panic button. Here are some games to watch in week 3:

49ers at Chiefs- The 49ers are a middle of the pack team on the road, their offense is decent at best, and their quarterback hasn’t been elite in the first two weeks. So, where is the intrigue? The Chiefs’ incredible offense. Pat Mahomes has been one of the best quarterbacks in the league so far, with 582 pasing yards, 10 touchdowns, zero interceptions, and a passer rating of 143.3. You can chalk Mahomes’ hot start up to his elite level weapons. Running Back Kareem Hunt is a star, the league’s best rusher from a year ago, and tight end Travis Kelce is coming off of a seven-catch, 109-yard, two-touchdown game against Pittsburgh. The real superstar of this Kansas City offense are their wide receivers, Tyreek Hill and Sammy Watkins. Both Hill and Watkins have 100-yard games under their belts already, while the 49ers don’t have a single wide receiver to have reached 100 yards on the season.

It’s safe to say that San Francisco is an underdog on the road in one of the best home-fields in the league. If anybody can slow down KC and their elite offense, however, it would be this 49er defense led by star cornerback Richard Sherman. After two weeks, Sherman looks like he is returning to All-Pro form after an Achilles tear sidelined him most of last season. Look for Kansas City to outscore the 49ers at home and come away with a win.
Prediction- 40-21 Chiefs

Pittsburgh Steelers at Tampa Bay Buccaneers- The sky seems to be falling in the Steel City. With Le’Veon Bell still continuing his holdout, the Steelers don’t have the same firepower on offense, and after Antonio brown began showing signs of unhappiness, they might not have an offense at all. Two star players unhappy, an atrocious defense, and an erratic, aging quarterback are all the team have going for them right now. On the other end, Tampa Bay does have something going for them: Fitzmagic. The unexpected great play of QB Ryan Fitzpatrick has the team 2-0 and seriously doubting whether or not to start Jameis Winston after he comes back from serving his sexual assault-related suspension. With these two teams heading in different directions, look for Fitzmagic to continue at home and Tampa to roll the Steelers at home on Monday night.
Prediction- 35-7 Buccaneers

New England Patriots at Detroit Lions- The Patriots are coming off being soundly beaten by Jacksonville the week prior, and they don’t typically lose two in a row. To make sure of that, the Pats went out and traded for speedy wide receiver Josh Gordon. This gives Tom Brady an elite down-field option the likes of which he hasn’t seen since, maybe Randy Moss? On the other side of the field is Detroit, a team in free fall. The downward spiral starts with the QB. Matthew Stafford hasn’t played like he’s worth the big money contract that the Lions gave him. He has been out-dueled by Sam Dornold and Jimmy Garoppolo in back-to-back weeks. Don’t let the 30-27 final score in week 2 fool you, most of those points the lions scored were in garbage time and were just to make the final score look closer. They were outplayed just about all game. The Lions looked awful week 1 against an average Jets roster, and made rookie Sam Darnold look like Tom Brady. Now that the real Tom Brady is coming to town, expect the Lions to get beaten soundly at home.
Prediction- 41-7 Patriots