An Uncertain Gubernatorial Election

Ethan Hamm   Staff Writer

The sixth of November is quickly approaching and that means a new governor. The generally not so popular Dannel Malloy is not running for re-election, but that does not mean these two new candidates, Democrat Ned Lamont and Republican Bob Stefanowski, come without their own controversy.

Upon their second debate, taking place in New Haven on Monday, Sept. 17, the two went after each other on the foundations on which they are running. Stefanowski, on one hand, wants to repeal the state income tax completely, while Lamont stands firm on his tax-and-spend plan. Supporters of Stefanowski — Republicans as well as some liberals who are sick of Malloy’s shortcomings — would no doubt vote for the candidate based on his goals for cutting taxes. However, Lamont claims without the state income tax, the state will lose ten billion dollars in annual revenue, hurting the economy instead of helping it. Stefanowski then retorted back, criticizing his opponent’s tolling plans for out-of-state trucks that was once a general tolling system. The republican candidate also questioned the validity of Lamont’s proposal for a statewide motor vehicle tax, which would replace the town-by-town tax.

Lamont wants to keep the middle-class in existence with not just this plan, but by lowering home property taxes and investing in public education. Teaming up with colleges like Goodwin, Pratt and Whitney, and local technological companies would, as taken from his official website, “grow out students’ skillsets.” According to his campaign, this will be at little cost to the government, and has potential to appeal to both sides.

Stefanowski sees higher taxes coming from Lamont if he wins. Having similar proponents to Malloy could spell trouble with the democratic nominee getting those votes. On Lamont’s pounce, he told the crowd that under Bob Stefanowski’s plan, patients with pre-existing medical conditions could be dropped from insurance companies. This definitely rattled people, as this is was and still is a hot topic that first made waves during Trump’s campaign and his similar proposals; this has potential to negatively affect millions of lives and their safety financially, medically, and overall shift the economy.

As voters stay up in the air and the candidates continue to rebuke, the outcome remains ever unclear. Although they are high profile politicians, society once again witnesses the common trend of potentially problematic politicians. Remember that both of Malloy’s run-ins with Tom Foley were close, and if the similarities hold up then Stefanowski could give Lamont a run for his money.