CAB Gets Spooky

Ruth Gowitzke   Staff Writer

On Sept. 26, 2018, the Campus Activity Board (CAB) started off the first night of Fall Fest with a Hollywood Murder Mystery Party. The event was held in the Betty Tipton Room as detectives led the audience in becoming suspects in the ultimate murder mystery of pop star, Justin Bieber. Each participant was given a name tag of a celebrity or fictional character, such as Ryan Gosling, Matthew McConaughey and even Winnie the Pooh. The skit was set at a wedding where the “detectives” announced that there had been a murder. One of the detectives first looked around the room to see if anything or anybody looked suspicious. They ended up choosing a guy who sat in the front with the name tag “Beyoncé,” because he was not facing the detectives, so he definitely looked suspicious.

The audience, or guests of the wedding, also got to help the detectives figure out who committed the crime by shouting out what the weapon could have been. The weapon, of course, had to be something soft. The audience made humorous suggestions that kept the energy going, such as garlic bread, a teddy bear, a cup, and even pasta.

The detectives, with the help of the crowd, also interrogated the “gang” at the wedding, which included Britney Spears and Peter Griffin. They were told they could only speak one word at a time to see if they knew anything about who murdered poor Justin Bieber.
Right when all the clues seemed to be in place, a “poison dart” struck one of the detectives and he became paralyzed.  He said the only way to save him was to dance his way back to normal with the help of, you guessed it, Beyoncé. After finding all the additional clues, packets of evidence were distributed to each table in the audience and everyone had to write down who they believed committed the crime and how they did it in the most creative way possible.

The murderer of Justin Bieber ended up being Taylor Swift and the winners got a small
trophy as a prize for guessing correctly and being the most creative. The night was filled with laughter, surprises and, of course, mystery. As always, the Campus Activity Board did a great job in bringing entertainers that were able to engage students and make the event enjoyable.

CAB plans over 60 events a semester, so don’t say there is never anything to do around campus! If you are looking for a healthy way to have a good time and are not sure of what there is to do, check out the Events Calendar on Eastern’s web page. They post every event available on campus, such as University Hour conferences, club socials, RA events, and, of course, CAB events.