Club Spotlight: M.A.L.E.S

Marquist Parker   Sports Editor

Men Achieving Leadership, Excellence, and Success, also known as M.A.L.E.S, is one of the most unique clubs on campus. Their meeting style is similar to other clubs, the executive board, or E-Board, faces the over thirty members and together they discuss the weekly agenda. This can include anything from deciding on activities for the members, fundraising, community service events, or budgeting. When asked about what makes the club stand out, President Jaylin Warren used one word above all else—brotherhood. Jaylin describes the club as a group of young men committed to becoming contributing members to the Eastern community. M.A.L.E.S is not an organization of male students looking to pad their resumes with meaningless clubs or other extracurricular activities.

The members aspire to not only gain, but to give back. The club provides effective leadership opportunities, which assist to enhance the overall image of each member in today’s society. The club has always had a large amount of support around campus, mostly due to the number of members, countless events, and formal dress code that has made them a staple on campus activities for years.

According to their mission statement, M.A.L.E.S “strives to foster inclusive professional and personal development opportunities, which enhance and aid to the overall fabric of civic engagement and the academic & social elements of young men within a campus and community environment.”

When you see the M.A.L.E.S members, you can also see something else that sets them apart: the club is almost exclusively African American and Hispanic. This is not to say that other races are not allowed to join, of course. M.A.L.E.S does not discriminate, contrary to popular belief. When asked about the uniqueness of the club, one Eastern student and member of M.A.L.E.S. said, “To have a club on campus that has so many young African American men is an incredible thing. The fact that they are so active around campus makes it one of the best clubs on campus.”

Every year some of the biggest and most popular events at Eastern are always the parties in the student center put together by M.A.L.E.S. This year you must have heard of the “Blackout Party,” which was a huge success and had a big turnout, as usual. If you want to know more about M.A.L.E.S. you are welcome to attend their meetings on Wednesdays at 3 p.m. in the Student Center room 107.