Interesting Classes Eastern Has to Offer in Spring 2019

Danielle Romanelli   Assistant Editor

With midterms quickly approaching, it only makes sense to start looking into next semester. We’re already all stressed about exams, midterms and papers, so classes are just another hurdle to get over. As much as everyone loves waking up at 6:55 a.m. to register for the next semester, it is a very important thing to take care of. Besides, once it’s over, you can go back to sleep at 7:03 a.m.

Alongside your major, there are electives that you need to take to complete the 120-credit requirement. Luckily, as a liberal arts school, Eastern Connecticut State University has a wide range of exciting and interesting electives that will meet everyone’s needs.

One really intriguing class that I took was called “The Animal World.” This also met my Tier II Natural Science requirement, but I would recommend it to anyone who wants a laid-back, entertaining class. The majority of this class involves watching BBC and Animal Planet videos, which are exceedingly cute and fun to watch. It is run by Professor Zapadka, who is very intelligent in her field of work. This class is offered in the spring once on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 11:00 a.m. through 12:15 p.m.

Another unique class that I wish I could take is “Intro to the Solar System.” It seems particularly fascinating to learn about something you see every night, but know very little about. Friends who have taken this class, and other astronomy classes in general, have said they were difficult, but worth the effort, as the information is mindblowing. It is run by Professor Pazameta once in the spring on Tuesday and Thursday from 12:30 p.m. through 1:45 p.m.

One class that I took that inspired me to become a communication minor was “Intro to Mass Communication.” This class also fulfills the Tier I Social Sciences requirement. I took this class with Professor Beltran, who is intelligent and knows about a wide-range of subjects. It’s a great experience because he knows so many famous people and has so many stories from his lifetime. This class is offered twice on Monday, Wednesday and Friday from 9:00 a.m. through 9:50 a.m., and again from 10:00 a.m. through 10:50 a.m.

I would highly consider taking classes outside of your major and minor, if possible. It’s nice to take a break from your focus and get to take a class that interests, excites, or challenges you. Taking too many classes strictly in your major can be extremely overwhelming, and it is important to enjoy the classes you are taking.