Sports

LEC Award Winners: Anna Barry and Nick Starkowski

Marquist Parker   Sports Editor

Every week the Little East Conference awards athletes with a recognition of their talents. Eastern athletes have become a staple in these reports. So let’s recognize two more stellar athletes:

Women’s Volleyball Rookie-of-the-Week: Anna Barry, Fr., MH, Andover
The honor is the third in a row for Barry, who led the Warriors in kills (34), attack attempts (70) and kills per set (2.83) in a 2-1 week which included a four-set Little East Conference win at UMass Dartmouth and a five-set road loss against Misericordia University. Barry attacked at .300 on the week, scoring 34.5 points, an average of 2.88. In the win over UMD, which helped the Warriors maintain their shared position in first place in the LEC, Barry had 11 kills with a .250 attack percentage. Barry is ranked fifteenth nationally—second among freshmen—with a .379 attack percentage.

Men’s Soccer Defensive Player-of-the-Week- Nick Starkowski, Jr., Marlborough
Starkowski played all 180 minutes in a 2-0-0 week as the Warriors won their fourth and fifth straight Little East Conference matches by shutout with home wins over UMass Boston (2-0) and Castleton University (1-0). Eastern’s defense allowed only 12 shots to reach goal. With Starkowski, who averages 78.5 minutes per match, the Warriors have piled up four straight shutout wins and have not given up a goal in their last 370 minutes and 54 seconds. In addition to his defense, Starkowski had the first multi-goal game of his career in a 2-0 Little East Conference home win over UMass Boston. Starkowski scored on a header off a free kick just 2:48 into the match and added an insurance goal with 13 minutes left on a penalty kick.