Ariana Grande Breaks the Charts with New Single “Thank U, Next”

Malaysia Douglas   Staff Writer

Weeks away from Thanksgiving and we all already know what Ariana Grande is thankful for—her exes! On Nov. 3, 2018, the American singer, songwriter, and actress released a song everyone is going wild for. Grande scored her first number one on the Billboard Hot 100, as “Thank U, Next” rocketed up the charts, arriving as the top-streamed and top-selling song of the week. Released as the lead single from her upcoming fifth studio album of the same name, “Thank U, Next” bows at the top-selling (81,000 paid downloads) and top-streamed (55.5 million plays) song of the week, according to Billboard.  The single also dethroned Maroon 5’s “Girls Like You,” which was on top of the charts for seven weeks. With nearly 10 million listens across a 24-hour period, “Thank U, Next” also broke the single-day Spotify record for most streams for a song by a female artist.

“Thank U, Next” is about Ariana Grande’s relationships, but get this, the song is actually thanking her past partners. The single is not your typical “break up and be bitter over your ex song,” instead, Grande is reflecting on her past relationships in a positive light, and realizing what she has gained from being with her past partners.

As the title suggests, Grande shows her gratitude by naming each of ex-boyfriends, calling them by their name, and following that with a “Thank U, Next.” The songs says, “Thought I’d end up with Sean/ But he wasn’t a match/ Wrote some songs about Ricky/ Now I listen and laugh/ Even almost got married/ And for Pete, I’m so thankful/ Wish I could say, “Thank you” to Malcolm/ ‘Cause he was an angel.” Grande conveys how appreciative she is for their time spent together with the chorus of the song— “One taught me love/ One taught me patience/ And one taught me pain.” She speaks of her past relationships as great life lessons learned rather than regretful experiences she would like to forget.

In Sept. 2018, Ariana Grande lost her former boyfriend, rapper Mac Miller, due to an accidental drug overdose, and also called off her wedding engagement with Pete Davidson. Despite these painful setbacks, it is almost as if Grande is moving onto a better part of herself.  The artists is closing several doors in her life, but many are being opened as well.

At the end of the song she goes from thanking the men to thanking herself.
Grande sings, “Plus, I met someone else/ We havin’ better discussions/ I know they say I move on too fast/ But this one gon’ last/ ‘Cause her name is Ari/ And I’m so good with that.”

Both the catchy lyrics and Ariana Grande’s angelic voice draws you in from the very first lines. After hearing the song once, I’m pretty sure you’ll have “Thank u, Next”  on repeat for the next few days. Everyone can use a bit of Grande’s optimism in their life. Instead of creating a negative song about how her past relationships didn’t work out, she took a new and different approach and decided to thank them for teaching her love, patience and pain.