Club Spotlight: Comic Book Appreciation Club

Eric Warner   Staff Writer

The Comic Book Appreciation Club is one of the few entertainment/pop culture centered clubs on campus. As their name suggests, the club is centered around promoting and discussing comic books and their related media. With comic books being perhaps more topical than ever before, the club strives to convey that the genre is not only for children. Comic books should be respected as any other media, especially with their increasing popularity.

The club meets weekly in the Student Center where members usually discuss news related to comics such as new film/television adaptations, comic series announcements, and/or departures of comic writers. The members also meet to discuss their readings of the week. The most recent comic books read were Alan Moore’s “Batman: The Killing Joke” and Dan Slott’s “Spider-Verse” in anticipation for the upcoming “Into the Spider-Verse” film coming out Dec. 2019.

In addition to reading comics as a group, the Comic Book Appreciation Club engages in a variety of on and off campus activities. Usually, members go to see a film adaption of a comic in some form or fashion, and later critique what they liked and disliked about the adaption as well as discussing the alterations of the story from page to film. Most recently the club went to see Sony’s “Venom.” The club also takes trips to visit local comic book stores, especially for members who have never been to one, to show how the backbone of the comic industry is operated.

Alongside going to movie theaters and comic book stores, members get a chance to visit local comic conventions to possibly meet writers and artists while also becoming integrated with the larger comic community. In regards to campus events, the club often collaborates, working with fellow pop-culture related clubs, such as the Doctor Who Club, to organize Warrior-Con, an on-campus pop-culture convention that happens every spring semester.

Overall, the Comic Book Appreciation Club is a lot of fun and a nice way for members to get a break from the stress of college. The club was founded in 2016 by seniors Danny Lee and Nate Edwards and, hopefully, the club will keep the love for comics alive after they graduate in Spring 2019! Comics deserve to be appreciated and honored. After all, the world would not have Superman, Batman, nor the Avengers without them. If you are interested in learning more about comic books and/or how they influence other media, join the club on Wednesday nights in the Student Center, room 221 at 8:00 p.m.