“Daredevil” Season 3 Review and Speculation

Eric Warner   Staff Writer

On Oct. 19, 2018, Netflix, in association with Marvel Studios, released the third season of the hit series “Daredevil.” For those of you who don’t know, “Daredevil” follows the life of Matt Murdock, street-level superhero who became blind at a young age, heightening his other senses. By day, Murdock works with his fellow lawyer Foggy Nelson and secretary/ reporter Karen Paige to save the innocent and take down the corrupt. At night, Murdock becomes Daredevil, doing what he believes the law cannot. This is the basis for the “Daredevil” plot which is displayed in the first and second seasons of the series.

The third season takes place immediately after the events of the crossover series, “The Defenders,” which had Daredevil team-up with other fellow street-level crime fighters such as Iron Fist, Jessica Jones, and Luke Cage. It isn’t exactly necessary to watch this crossover, because the first episode of season three basically sums up these events and those of the previous two seasons.

Murdock finds himself wounded, alone, and bloody after he is rescued by his childhood caretaker, Father Lantom, following an explosion (Murdock is a devout Catholic). Later, Murdock’s world is shaken even more as he discovers that Wilson Fisk, Daredevil’s archnemesis, has been released from prison by the FBI. Without getting into any spoilers, Murdock will have to cope with a crisis of fate, identity, and friendship as he deals with Hell’s Kitchen being flipped upside down.

Without a doubt, Daredevil is the best show Marvel has ever made. Every character is expertly played by extraordinary actors such as Jay Ali, who plays the conflicted FBI Special Agent Rahul “Ray” Nadeem, and Wilson Bethel, who plays the mentally unstable FBI Special Agent Benjamin “Dex” Poindexter, aka Bullseye. The choreography in all of the fights and interactions is stupendous as if the viewers themselves could feel the impact of every punch. The cinematography is also very well done in this season compared to the past few; there is one scene in particular where Murdock is trying to escape from a rioting prison that feels as if it was all filmed in one seamless shot. This scene is amazing and expertly conveys the chaos that is occurring both in the prison itself and in Murdock’s mind.

Now we start the spoilers, so stop reading if you’re interested in watching “Daredevil.” The season ends in a very hopeful way, with Fisk returning to prison and all of the corrupt government officials getting incarcerated. Murdock reaffirms his faith in his religion as well as his identity as Matt Murdock. He also rebuilds his law firm “Nelson & Murdock,” changing the firm’s name to “Nelson, Murdock, & Paige” after learning that friends can always be relied on no matter what.

This third season has a very book-closing feel to it, with most plot-lines finishing in a resolution. With the recent cancellations of the “Iron Fist” and “Luke Cage” series, it is not surprising that this is also the end of “Daredevil.” The show has saved “Hell’s Kitchen” once more and Murdock has gone through enough for one series. If anything, the few unresolved plot-lines could be settled in the second season of “The Punisher,” since the stories of Daredevil and Punisher are intertwined. I would give the third season of “Daredevil” a 10/10 and highly recommend the series to anyone! It’s truly the best show that Marvel Studios has ever made.