My Four and a Half Years at Eastern

Brooke Cochrane   Opinion Editor

I began my journey at Eastern in the summer of 2014 through the Summer Proof of Ability (SPOA) program. My SAT scores weren’t too hot, so I had to take and pass selected classes in order to register for the fall 2014 semester. Since then, my life has changed dramatically, education wise and personally.

For my first two years, I didn’t really know where I fit in on campus. I also didn’t realize there were so many clubs and organizations. I kept to myself for the most part. In the fall of 2015, I went through something pretty traumatic that I still deal with to this day, but I try not to let it define me. As a result, in the fall of 2016, I decided I was going to put myself out there and join some clubs.

I joined the Creative Writing Club (then called Eastern Writer’s Guild) and I also became a staff writer for the Campus Lantern. I made some new friends and really started to find a home at Eastern. The next year, in the fall of 2017, I was elected President of the Creative Writing Club and was also hired as the Opinion Editor for the Campus Lantern. I also received an internship at the Center for Community Engagement that same semester. To say I was busy would be an understatement.

I then started considering what potential jobs I would be interested in for the near future, but found out that I wouldn’t be graduating until the fall of 2018 instead of the spring. I didn’t necessarily mind that I was graduating late, I was more upset that I wasn’t going to get to walk across the stage with my best friend. To me, it doesn’t matter when someone graduates. We all end up with the same degrees. I stayed as an editor for the Campus Lantern, but unfortunately had to step down as President of the Creative Writing Club in the fall of 2018.

I’ve accomplished a lot during my years at Eastern. I’ve published what feels like dozens of articles at the Campus Lantern, a short story in the 2018 edition of Eastern’s literary magazine, Eastern Exposure, and received an award of Excellence in Journalism in the spring of 2018. I feel as though I’m leaving Eastern with my head held high.

Now comes the hard part: applying for jobs. I’ve been applying to jobs since mid-October and it’s very stressful, but also kind of exciting. I know that I just have to keep trying and eventually, I’ll get the call that I got the job.

I learned a lot about myself in the past four and a half years through all of my experiences and feel as though I’ve left my mark at Eastern Connecticut State University. Though I will miss it here, I’m excited to see what else life throws my way.