“Captain Marvel” Does Not Disappoint Despite Efforts to Boycott

Robert Locakby   Staff Writer

On Friday, March 8, the superhero movie “Captain Marvel” was released to cinemas around the world as the new addition to the Marvel Cinematic Universe. It stars Brie Larson as Carol Danvers as she becomes Captain Marvel when Earth is caught in a galactic war between two alien worlds. The film also stars Samuel L. Jackson as Nick Fury along with other actors such as Jude Law, Annette Bening, Lashana Lynch, and Ben Mendelsohn. With a talented cast and a production that helped bring out the setting, “Captain Marvel” is a film that people definitely should give a chance.

The film is set in the ‘90s and the production helps the audience slip into the decade smoothly. For example, when Danvers crashes onto Earth, she crashes into a Blockbuster video. The scene alone is filled with actual VHS tapes for real films. It also includes cars and motorcycles from the ‘90s and fashion from the decade. The attention to detail proves how much time and effort the production team spent in imparting the film with a realistic ‘90s feel. “Captain Marvel” also offers a soundtrack straight from the decade with Nirvana, Hole, TLC, and No Doubt, among others.

Larson’s performance is also worth praising, as she undoubtedly carries the film with a character that is humorous, fun, but also very human at the core.

Jackson and Larson create a very strong bond between their characters and bounce off of each other extremely well. Directors Anna Boden and Ryan Fleck, who also helped write the screenplay, keep the film from overstaying its welcome and becoming pretentious by keeping it light-hearted in certain spots, bringing out the humanity in the characters, and also including subtle social commentary.

The film did receive initial backlash from the internet due to the perceived feminist nature of both Larson and the film. Despite this, the “boycott” failed as the film made almost $600 million in its first week and the number has recently grown to almost $800 million. Overall, “Captain Marvel” is a fun movie for a superhero film and can also help Marvel fans transition to the upcoming “Avengers: Endgame.”

If you are planning on seeing the movie, make sure to stick around after the credits to see an amusing scene, along with a hint for what is to come in the Marvel Cinematic Universe.