My Internship Experience

Malaysia Douglas   Staff Writer

Rewinding back to high school, I still remember when I made my life changing decision. I
was days away from submitting my college application to a medical school in New York. As I sat in my guidance counselor’s office, I knew medical school wasn’t for me. My stomach turned at the idea of making such a big decision that I was not 100% sure of. Yes, I liked the idea of becoming a nurse, but I didn’t love it. Deep down I knew nursing wasn’t for me.

The pressure to fill my grandmothers’ shoes and become a Registered Nurse (RN) was
driving me crazy. Everyone in my family chose to go towards the medical field, and I didn’t want to ruin that streak. I sat in my guidance counselor’s office as he told me, “follow your heart”— so I did.

For as long as I can remember, I’ve always dreamt of becoming a writer. I wanted to be like the people I saw on television who’d write papers that the mail carriers would scream about: “EXTRA! EXTRA! READ ALL ABOUT IT!” I decided to change route and attend Eastern Connecticut State University. My love and passion for writing and teaching is unmatched. I challenged myself to major in Communication and earn a master’s degree in Early Childhood Education. In the 2019 spring semester, I got to live my dream of being a real writer and work with children in a school setting.

I am currently a senior and I guess you can say procrastination is my middle name. I
waited until spring semester to fulfill the requirement of a Communication internship. I think I have finally given up on the idea of eight hours of sleep. On Monday’s I am a teacher’s assistant in Tolland, and on Wednesdays and Fridays I am a writer at The Bulletin in Norwich.

My internship as a Teacher’s Assistant has opened my eyes to the many needs of
Children. Teachers are not just humans that teach, but also caregivers and like parents or guardians to students. I’ve learned the importance of planning ahead and being aware of
children’s needs and any accommodations they may need.

At The Bulletin, I learned the skill of adaptability. At any time, things can change so it is
good to always be prepared. During my first week, I was told to interview a cast member of a play. I prepared questions for the cast member, only to be told one was not available for an interview, but a director was. I ended up doing a phone interview with the director, and had to come up with questions on the spot that would help create a possible story. The director was very patient and was open to communicating with me back and forth if need be. From this experience, I learned the importance of preparing questions for all members of the story in which you’re aiming towards, and not to panic.

Internships are great learning experiences. It is the time to be vulnerable and step out of
your comfort zone. They’re meant to push you and put you in situations you can learn from before stepping into your real career. They are the first step into the real world, and they prepare you for future successes. When first starting my internship at The Bulletin, I was very nervous. I was scared to mess up, and I was worried my articles wouldn’t be good enough. My boss, Jim Konrad, the executive editor of The Bulletin, was very patient and took the time to go over my articles with me. The advice I’d give to someone is, if you don’t know or understand something, ask! That’s what you’re there for— to learn. Be open-minded and allow yourself to experience new things. You just might surprise yourself with abilities you didn’t know you had.