A Review of New Music Releases of Early September

Robin Blassberg   A&E Editor

The weeks spanning between Sept. 5 and Sept. 19 saw an explosion of music from Foster the People, FKA Twigs, Future, and Rex Orange County. The music from these artists are sending off the remainder of 2019 with memorable messages.

On Sept. 6, Foster the People released the latest single from their new EP called “Pick U Up.” The single that shares the title of the EP features notes of similar bands, such as Portugal, The Man, and Fitz and the Tantrums. Mark Foster, the lead singer, shares his complicated relationship as the subject of the song and theorizes she may be into him just for his fame and fortune. In the second pre-chorus, Foster reveals that “she will take my breath and then some,” a possible hint at her not so altruistic intentions for pursuing him. A message of reflection on a relationship that may end negatively is juxtaposed against an uptempo beat, characteristic of Foster the People, but even still more peppy than their earlier releases “Sit Next to Me” and “Doing it for the Money.”

“Cellophane,” on April 24, with “holy terrain,” featuring Future. The song is fresh on the heels of the announcement of her new album, “MAGDALENE.” Her usual seductive and airy vocals are present as she questions of her subject, “Now my fruits are for taking/And your fingers are stained/Do you still think I’m beautiful/When you light me in flames?” Twigs’ unique style also shines through with warped vocals and trippy sound effects, similar to that of “Cellophane,” when she sings the chorus. The message of the song clearly stems from infatuation and the emotional sickness that can stem from it, represented through Future’s third verse, as he begs of the subject to “never take [his] love in vain.” Although different than “Cellophane”’s gut-wrenching, traumatizing breakup sound, it is clear that they belong on the same album through the sensitivity, femininity, and moodiness Twigs’ shares.

Rex Orange County sprang back onto the music scene with “10/10” on Sept. 12 after his release of “New House” earlier in the year. This new release is an anthem of Rex explaining he has had a rough year dealing with changing social relationships, being homesick, and having trouble controlling his emotions. Yet, he declares he will not let this define him; in fact, he decides to “give [him]self a little credit/Since he dealt with all the pain/Yeah, [he] turned superhero/[He’s] comin’ in Bruce Wayne.” He is overcoming the struggles he went through and turning them into “superpowers,” similar to Bruce Wayne, who also turned his fear into his powers. The message of self-reflection is juxtaposed against the chipper and synthy instrumentals usually found in his music.

The unique sounds of each of these artist’s hints to an interesting end of the year musically.