Aren’t We All “Invincible”?

Jillian McGahan   Contributing Writer

“I feel invincible!”, a phrase you have probably heard or said at least once in your life. It’s a moment when you felt like you could do anything, and no obstacle would stand in your way.

When you hear the word, “invincibility”, what comes to mind? Unbelievable strength? Being indestructible? Inability to be overcome? Thoughts along those lines, I presumed.

“Invincible” is the quality of being too powerful to be defeated or overcome. When talked about the feeling of being “invincible”, it’s simply how we would perceive ourselves in the moment of accomplishment.

Jack Lalanne, a motivational speaker, accomplished bodybuilder, fitness, exercise, and nutritional expert, towed 70 rowboats with passengers from Queen’s Way Bridge to The Queen Mary ship while being shackled, handcuffed, and fighting winds and currents. Lalanne accomplished this unbelievable feat at the age of 70.

Another unbelievable feat was performed by William Pruett, an ultra-triathlete. Pruett ran 5 Ironman Triathlons in 5 days; meaning, he swam 2.4 miles, biked 112 miles, and ran 26.2 miles on Hawaiian Islands. These two men could be considered “invincible”.

It’s not uncommon for us to overestimate ourselves. We tell ourselves, “I can do this!”, hoping it’s true. Nothing is more rewarding than actually doing it, and feeling “invincible”. Yet, we have to ask ourselves this question: can something really be “invincible”?

Superman, a popular DC superhero and an extremely powerful hero who can’t be stopped, is highly regarded as an indestructible force. Despite having weaknesses, he is seen as “invincible”. In addition, he is commonly known as kryptonite, which meant Superman is not actually “invincible”.

The Metal superhero, a more realistic example, has appeared to be “invincible” and indestructible. In actuality, they’re not. Metals could easily corrode and rust, which has made them easy to break, and no longer indestructible.

If you’ve ever watched a crime show, you know that the criminals can be very prideful. They believe that they’re smart enough to get away with murder. They also think they’re untouchable, “invincible”. However, as always, they’re caught in the end.

Feeling “invincible” has advantages and disadvantages. It’s good to feel like you could do anything, but you don’t want to be overconfident. That’s when it would get dangerous. For example, if Lalanne and Pruett aren’t feeling good, really tired, or pulled a muscle, Lalanne would end up drowning and Pruett would have to forfeit the triathlon. Depending on where he was during the triathlon, Pruett could’ve drowned while he was swimming.

If you didn’t know yourself and were unprepared for any complications, you should rethink that feeling of “invincibility”. Having said that, being unafraid to take risks is what will lead you to accomplishing those unbelievable feats, and would leave you feeling “invincible”.

Everyone is capable of having that feeling.  Thinking that way, aren’t we all “invincible”?