The Dangers of Juuls

Jack Petrucci    Staff Writer

What was the most common and seemenly “harmless” form of obtaining nicotine for young adults may have just turned into a very lethal product. Juuls, which are simply the “e-cigarette” of the new generation, have been very popular among young adults in the last few years. With flavors ranging from mango to strawberry, this is a convenient and enjoyable way for young adults to get a “buzz.” However, in the last couple of months, the dangers about Juuls have started to appear in its consumer population. There has been multiple cases across the country where people have been hospitalized, or even died, due to Juul products.

CBS News dug in on the Juul epidemic. They claim: “Nationwide, over 450 people are known to be suffering from illness connected to using e-cigarettes”. CBS went even deeper, and spoke to Adam Hergender, an 18 year old from Chicago who was hospitalized due to Juul related causes. “When I first got (to the hospital), it was like a baby bear was on my chest” said Hergender. Hergender has been vaping for about a year and a half, but was just recently hospitalized for lung damage.

Juuls have become extremely accessible for those under age to purchase. Juul Labs issued this statement in regard to the underage consumption: “It was our hope that others in the category would self-impose similar restrictions to address youth usage and it is now our hope that regulators will impose these same restrictions to protect youth and to preserve the opportunity to eliminate combustible cigarettes, the deadliest legal consumer product known to man.” President Trump is trying to prevent underage individuals from having access to Juuls. In a report done by the New York Times, President Trump’s Administration claimed that “it would ban the sale of most flavored e-cigarettes, at a time when hundreds of people have been sickened by mysterious lung illnesses and teenage vaping continues to rise”.

People are starting to take action in regard to stopping this use of Juul’s. The New York Times reported that “just recently, Michigan became the first state to prohibit the sale of e-cigarettes”. Other states looking to continue the same trend, as Governor Andrew M. Cuomo of New York also called a ban, and Massachusetts and California are considering the same measure.

Juul’s have been a very convenient way for young adults to have access to nicotine without having to smoking cigarettes. However, this more enjoyable and easy way to  relax has turned out to also be detrimental to human health. Due to the relatively unknown effects of such as new product, states have just now started taking action to prevent other incidents from happening.