Connecticut Ranks Tenth as One of the Most Energy Efficient States

Ruth Gowitzke   News Editor

Connecticut was ranked as one of the most energy-efficient states, a study found on Oct. 15. According to wfsb.com, Connecticut ranked tenth, beating states such as Alabama, Louisiana, and South Carolina, which were ranked as the least energy efficient. This study was conducted by Wallethub in an article where they compared auto and home energy efficiency consumption in 48 States. Connecticut had a slightly lower home energy efficiency rank of 16, whereas the auto efficiency rank was higher with a ranking of 6. Wallethub concluded Connecticut’s the home energy efficiency by “calculating the ratio of total residential energy consumption to annual degree days.” Degree days, according to Dictionary.com, is the “unit used to determine the heating requirements of buildings.” The methodology Wallehub used to conduct the auto energy efficiency was that they “divided the annual vehicle miles driven by gallons of gasoline consumed to determine vehicle-fuel efficiency and measured annual vehicle miles driven per capita to determine transportation efficiency.”

These two methods helped them to determine an accurate national consumption pattern to be able to rank these states efficiently. The three states that were on the top of the list for most energy efficient included New York, Rhode Island, and Utah. New York had a total score of 88.47, Rhode Island, 85.82, and Utah, 84.29. In order to be the most energy efficient, there needed to be a score of 100. Connecticut had a total score of 72.85. The data used to create this ranking was collected from the U.S. Census Bureau, National Climatic Data Center, Energy Information Administration, U.S. Department of Transportation  Federal Highway Administration and Insurance Institute for Highway Safety.

Adam McCann, the author of the article on Wallethub, also talked about how energy is one of the most expensive household expenses. McCann claimed, “According to the U.S. Department of Energy, the average U.S. family spends at least $2,000 per year on utilities, with heating and cooling of spaces alone accounting for more than half the bill. In 2018, the average consumer spent another $2,109 on motor fuel and oil, up $141 from last year.”

The prices of heating will only continue to rise as temperatures continue to drop. Those Eastern students who may be living in an off campus apartment will experience the rise in the price of living first-hand.

None of the states that were listed had a perfect score, even if they were on the top of the list. This means that there needs to be more efforts to be more energy efficient in our daily lives.

There are many ways that people can save energy, and it is important for everyone to be wary of how much energy they may be using.

Students can find out more about this study by going to  Wallethub’s website.