Dan and Shay and Justin Beiber Collaborate on ‘10,000 Hours’

Jennifer Zuniga   Opinion Editor

On Oct. 4. Dan and Shay, the country duo, released a song called “10,000 Hours” featuring Justin Bieber. It took approximately 10 days to reach No.4 on the Billboard Hot 100 and No. 1 on the Hot Country Songs chart. The song will be on Dan and Shay’s next album.

This was the first time Beliebers, Justin Bieber’s fans, and the rest of the world have heard from him in months. The last time he released a song was on May 10, 2019 when he sang “I Don’t Care” with Ed Sheeran. Before then, he did more collabs with other artists, for instance, DJ Khaled’s “No Brainer” and a verse on Billie Eilish’​s “bad guy.” This song was written by Dan + Shay’s Dan Smyers and Shay Mooney, Bieber, Jordan Reynolds, Jessie Jo Dillon and Jason “Poo Bear” Boyd. It was produced by Smyers. Prior to the release date, the musicians hyped the track on social media. Bieber tweeted, “wedding music” to describe this single. They wrote the song about their wives.

Verse 1 features lyrics that took my mind to a place where I instantly thought that the musicians were trying to captivate their significant others by placing attention to their interests. All they want is for them to be happy. The pre-chorus was romantic in the way that it tells the story of how they care about their wives. They are willing and wanting to know their deepest secrets, what keeps them up at night, what their goals and ambitions are, etc.

The song continues by having Dan + Shay sing the following lyrics: “I’d spend ten thousand hours and ten thousand more / Oh, if that’s what it takes to learn that sweet heart of yours / And I might never get there, but I’m gonna try / If it’s ten thousand hours or the rest of my life / I’m gonna love you.” The singers are attempting to convey that it doesn’t matter how long it takes, but they are willing to make an effort to know who they are from the inside. Additionally, they won’t give up on them and will love them for all eternity. That shows that they are going to remain faithful and committed to their wives.

Bieber conveys his interests to get to know her completely, including her past, in the second verse. He is willing to move on from his partner’s past, so they can move on with their lives together. He wants a forever with her.

In the bridge, Bieber romantically sings about how he really wants to share everything with his significant other. He is willing to be beside her through thick and thin. His curiosity is for her to be a part of his life. He has thought about her and really wants her.

This song is upbeat with a mixture of mellowness. In a strange way, it sounded romantic. Dan + Shay and Justin Bieber typically write love songs, so this was of no surprise to me. My heart flew while listening to the song because it felt like the old Justin Bieber was back. This got me excited for Dan + Shay’s new upcoming album. That is something you should look out for.