DIY Halloween Costume Ideas

Jennifer Zuniga    Opinion Editor    

Halloween is a holiday that most people look forward to. During this time, people watch scary movies, binge-watch a season of “American Horror Story”, carve pumpkins, go bobbing for apples, hit up a hayride or a haunted house, head to a party, and so much more. With Halloween being weeks away, you are probably stressing about what your costume is going to be. Let’s face it, as college students, we probably can’t afford to purchase an outfit that we are only going to use only once. After some research, I’ve found 10 inexpensive ideas that will require of you to DIY your costume. I hope you are inspired to try one of them out. If not, you can always do some research yourself.

Smarty pants

All you would need is a basic solid color shirt, jeans (can be any color), Smarties candy, and normal shoes. This idea is meant to be a pun. First, you will need to take a pack of Smarties candies, and use glue dots or double-sided tape to attach them to a pair of jeans.

An Instagram Dog Filter

This is so 21st century. For you to make it, you will need your phone, a blank surface like a wall, a screenshot, think board, printer, scissors, makeup, and accessories. First you will have to pull up your Instagram stories on your phone and select the dog filter. Then, point the phone at a blank surface like a wall, and take a screenshot. Afterwards, you will print the screenshot on a thick board and cut out the middle to fit your face. Lastly, finish it by adding makeup and accessories to your look to mirror the filter’s.

Fortnite

All you would need is leather leggings, a rainbow unicorn top, and a unicorn stick to complete the look.   

Men in Black

Couples and BFFs can easily recreate the iconic movie look with suits, ties, sunglasses, and — if you have one — a pup!

Steve and Robin from “Stranger Things”

You will need a partner for this. Both for you will have to dress as sailors with many blue and white stripes. After, you will have to top the costume with name tags and ice cream scoops so that fellow Halloween celebrators understand the reference.

Queen of Hearts

This is super easy to do. You can pair your red long dress with a custom collar, wear red lipstick, have a deck of cards, and a small golden crown to get an instant “Alice in Wonderland” inspired costume. To make the collar you will have to first wrap a large piece of paper around your neck so you can cut it to the right size. After, you will have to staple cards from a deck all around the paper collar by layering them down for a fanned-out effect.

Forky from “Toy Story 4”

All you need is a white outfit, a red sweater, blue lipstick, and googly eyes.

A Bat

This one is going to take some time. However, the outcome will be worth it. You will need an old black umbrella, safety pins or hot glue, a black hoodie, black electrical tape, foam core, and feathers. To begin with, you will need to cut your umbrella in half. Then, you will use black safety pins or hot glue to attach it to the arms of a black hoodie. After, you will fasten the hinges of the metal umbrella pieces with black electrical tape to help them properly fold. You can create a little extra texture for ears by using foam core and feathers.

Twister

You can either do this by yourself or with someone else. For this costume all you will need is an oversized white t-shirt, colorful polka dots (you can cut construction paper and place each piece with double-sided tape), and the classic Twister spinner to bring it to life.

A Sea Anemone

You will need pink balloons, a pink shirt, safety pins, pipe cleaners and felt. You will start by blowing up long and pink balloons. You will then attach them by the knot to a pink shirt with a safety pin. To create details, create a crown with pipe cleaners and felt, and decorate with plastic fish.