How to Prepare for the Career and Interships Fair

Ruth Gowitzke   News Editor

On Oct. 23, Eastern will host the Career and Internships Fair from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m., where students will be able to meet with potential employers to discuss future career paths and internship opportunities. However, there are a few things that you should prepare for before going to this event. These are as follows.

Polish your resume

Employers will be looking for a copy of your resume, so it is important for it to be free of grammatical errors that may deter the employer from considering you as a potential employee. You should also make sure that your resume has a nice clean layout to it. If the layout of the resume is hard to read or follow, then it would be hard to convince the employer that you would be the right fit. Remember, in most cases, the first thing that they see is your  resume. A lot of jobs today typically take resumes through email, rather than meeting with the person face to face. Luckily, there is going to be a “Resume Review Day” on Oct. 22. This will allow you to be able to have your resume looked at by students working in the Center for Internships and Career Development office, which is located in the Wood Support Services building on the second floor.

Make sure to dress formally

Before you even step into the gymnasium, make sure you are dressed in business casual clothing. It would make a bad first impression on the employer if you were to walk up to the them wearing baggy sweatpants, a t-shirt, and sneakers. That sends a message that you may not be as serious about the job or internship that you may be applying to, which is not what you want the employer to think. An example of what men could wear is a nice collared shirt with or without a tie, dress pants, and dress shoes. As an alternative, they can wear any formal wear that they are comfortable in. For women, they could wear a skirt with a blouse, a formal dress, or a blouse with dress pants. For shoes, women could wear flats or any kind of dress shoe, or, like the men, any kind of formal wear they are comfortable in.

Make sure to practice your handshake

For some reason, America is known for a strong-grip handshake and that is what some employers may be looking out for. A strong handshake alludes to more confidence in that person, which is what you are trying to emulate, even if you may not feel it in yourself. However, if the employer does not have a strong handshake themselves, do not try to compensate for that by giving your own strong handshake. The person may take it as aggressive. At least, I think it would, based on what I’ve seen from Donald Trump’s handshakes. Try, to your best ability, to give the employer a handshake that is similar in intensity as their own.