What the Halloween Season Means

Vincent Knox   Editor-in-Chief     

The Halloween season is upon us and that means that things are going to be getting spookier as the month of October rolls along. Though the leaves are changing colors and there are many things to do, going out to do those things leave me open to ghosts, goblins, and all sorts of spooky, supernatural threats. The only thing I can think of to help me through these scary times we live in is. . . candy! Candy will comfort me until the end of the month, let’s narrow down the list o and figure out what my top five confectionary delights are.

5. I regrettably have not had these in a long time but coming in a number 5 are cherry sours. These medium sized chewable, cherry sweets will turn your mouth red by the time you are done with them and you won’t want to be done with them. As their name suggests, they are sour but not overwhelmingly so. These candies hit the spot every time and will leave you wanting more.

4. The next candy on my list is a worldwide favorite. Jellybeans are beloved by people all over the world and specifically by children. There’s just something about them that draws children in. They definitely drew me in. I have loved jellybeans for a very long time and will never turn them down. I suggest going out and getting a big bag for yourself and your friends, you never know when you’ll need a quick fix.

3. The next item on my list is a bit controversial, as I have been called “old” for liking these. Spice drops are a delight to eat and always leave me satisfied. I had a period in high school where I would they were the only candy I would purchase. I didn’t care about the stigma surrounding them because old people still love and enjoy candy too, the same as young people. There are many flavors of spice drops, but my favorite might be the licorice ones. Try them and you’ll see what I mean.

2. Choosing between the number two and the number one on this list has been hard, but I had to make a decision. Gummy bears are my runner up. Gummy bears are another worldwide favorite enjoyed by those young and old. They have stood the test of time and proved again and again that people just really like gummy shaped animals. I know I do. They were my top choice over the summer, but they haven’t been my top choice since I was a kid and that is why the next is my number one choice.

1. Sour Patch Kids.They are my number one choice in candy and have been for many years. Though I have strayed from them and tried others, they were always there waiting for me, with their classic sour to sweet transition. They also have a variety of flavors and have pushed into the gum and cereal worlds. Sour Patch Kids will always have a place in my heart and in my stomach.

There you have it, the five candies I’ll be using to stay calm and collected this month. I can only hope that they manage to support me until November is here. What candy will you eat this Halloween season?