Kanye West Returns with Controversial Album ‘Jesus is King’

Jennifer Zuniga   Opinion Editor

On Oct. 25, Kanye West released his new album “Jesus is King.” Although it didn’t come out at 12 a.m. due to difficulties, the album was released before noon. He even tweeted, “To my fans / Thank you for being loyal & patient / We are specifically fixing mixes on ‘Everything We Need,’ ‘Follow God,’ & ‘Water’  / We not going to sleep until this album is out!”

Fans felt divided by the change of his type of music showcased on the album since he went from hip hop to a Christian hip hop record, which featured a significant influence. People are currently still tweeting about it. His album had many believers talk about their relationship with God, while others have stated that they are no longer his fans, which has surprised me because he has been very open with his Christian faith.

The first track on “Jesus is King” is “Every Hour,” which introduces the gospel aspect of his album. When you first hear it, you are going to wonder what else Kanye is going to do for the rest of his album. It gives you church vibes, reminding you of sitting at church while the choir sings; it is definitely peaceful. “Selah,” the second track, makes you feel like you are about to prepare for battle.

He brings up many people from the bible, such as Noah, the hero of the biblical Flood story in the Old Testament book of Genesis, the originator of vineyard cultivation, and, as the father of Shem, Ham, and Japheth, the representative head of a Semitic genealogical line.

“Follow God” gives us another vibe: chill. The song talks about how one should act if they have a relationship with Christ. He references points of the many pressures Christians feel. When we reach “Closed on Sunday”, it gets confusing. For one, I understand that Chick-fil-A is a Christian fast-food franchise and why he was going towards that direction, especially because Sunday is a resting day for every Christian. On the other, it sounded odd to me.

“God is” is very slow and shows the gospel side once more. Kanye sings about how God is his all and how he will not go back to a life where he didn’t know him. This song allows the listener to understand his passion for God because of how much soul he puts into it. “Use This Gospel” brings modern and jazz elements together. “Hands On” has a dark beat to it. He calls out Christians for constant judgment for doing wrong and it makes him feel as though he is not loved. He requests that they stop because it makes non-believers walk towards not acknowledging God.

If you haven’t yet, give Kanye’s album a listen. His new style is something you want to hear. Although some songs are dark, his passion for the Lord is clear throughout the duration of the album.