Windham County Election Results

Ruth Gowitzke News Editor

On Nov. 6, towns all across Connecticut held local elections to determine who would be a part of the Town Council, the Board of Education and other important aspects of the town. Here are the results of that election, according to the Hartford Courant, for Windham County. These will only list the top two winners. If you would like to know who else had won, go to the Hartford Courant website.

Town Council in the Willimantic Voting District

Thomas DeVivo: 641 votes Nectalis G Martinez: 588 votes

According to windhamct.com, there are various town councils that cover a variety of different aspects of the town. These include: administration, finance, health and human services, the nominating committee, public safety, public works, environment, culture and recreation and taxing.

Board of Finance Kevin Donohue: 1,295 votes Roger Nadeau: 1,136 votes

The job of the Board of Finance, as stated by windhamct.com, is “responsible for setting the budgets for the general town government and for the Willimantic Serivice District. The Board of Finance also is responsible for approving modifications to the budgets as it is implemented throughout the fiscal year.”

Board of Assessment Appeals

Suzanne Tirado: 1,434 Jared M Leitzel: 1,209

“The Board of Assessment Appeals is an elected board whose purpose is to hear appeals of property owners who disagree with the assessment of their property,” according to windhamct.com.

Board of Education Full Term

Catina Caban-Owen: 1,142 abeth Dunnack: 1,071

Connecticut’s Official State website said that the board of education “establishes education policy, prepares legislative proposals, sets academic standards for teachers and students, administers a $2.45 billion annual general fund budget and provides leadership and support services to Connecticut’s 149 local and 17 regional school districts.”

Zoning Board of Appeals Full Term

Katherine L S Eves: 1,402 votes Jose L Cruz: 1,374 votes

As stated by mansfieldct.gov, “the Zoning Board of Appeals (ZBA) is established by state statute to hear appeals and to vary the application of Zoning Regulations in cases where enforcement of the regulations would result in exceptional difficulty or unusual hardship.”

To learn more about the local government in Willimantic, be sure to visit the town hall which is located on 979 Main Street.