Girls in Boy Scouts: What’s the Deal?

Kaitlyn Rasmussen Staff Writer

Last year on Feb. the 1st, Boy Scouts officially allowed girls to join the organization. They changed their name from Boy Scouts to Scouts BSA. It is something that has been sitting at the back of my mind since the announcement spread, but now has come back to the forefront for a good reason: Juliette Gordon Low’s birthday.

For those who have no knowledge on Juliette, she was the founder of Girl Scouts. In March of 1912, she gathered 18 young women together to form the first ever Girl Scout Troop; the organization has since flourished. She cared so much about this wonderful opportunity she had created for girls. Juliette’s birthday recently passed on Oct. 31. In the Girl Scout community, it is a day to honor her and reflect on how she made the world a better place for girls everywhere. In my honest opinion, I feel that the acceptance of girls into Boy Scouts treads on that legacy.

When Juliette founded Girl Scouts, it was partially with the intention to allow girls to dowhatBoyScoutsweredoing: camping, hiking, and learning how to tell time using the stars. Today, any Girl Scout can get the opportunity to still do those activities and even other ones, for instance, on primitive campouts and white-water raft, build with their hands and learn STEM trades, archery, climb mountains, swim, learn astronomy and so much more. Girl Scouts is not just about selling cookies. Girls who participate get to do everything that Boy Scouts do, yet for some reason, it was seen by many as an accomplishment for girls to integrate into Boy Scouts.

Don’t get me wrong; I recognize and appreciate the struggle these girls went through to get what they wanted, and feeling equal. I always encourage girls to fight for what they believe in. However, I don’t see what they think they are getting with Boy Scouts that couldn’t be achieved in Girl Scouts, an organization that has stood by girls since it was first founded by Juliette all those years ago.

I was a Girl Scout from 1st Grade up until I graduated high school. My involvement with the organization has continued. I now volunteer with a troop of young girls helping run their meetings. Not once over the course of all my years with the organization did, I feel that I, nor the young girls I assist with, have missed out on any opportunities because they were in Girl Scouts and not Boy Scouts. My take on this has only strengthened since I got the opportunity to intern with Girl Scouts because I have noticed more of the hard work that goes into the organization to provide amazing opportunities and experiences for girls.

While the hype about the news may have died down, the issue is still at hand. I highly encourage girls to seek what they are looking for in Girl Scouts rather than what is now Scouts BSA. up for the girls. It is now time!