How to Be a Better Holiday Shopper

Marissa Starkel Staff Writer

The holidays are among us, which means eager shoppers are ready to take on the battlefield that we call malls. As a shopaholic and someone who has worked retail, I’m here to inform you on how to be a better shopper for your piece of mind and for the sake of us exhausted retail workers.

1. Don’t wait until the last minute to do your shopping

Although it seems pretty self-explanatory, don’t be that person that waits until Christmas Eve to do all of your shopping. Not only is it a hassle to drive all the way to the mall and fight through a crowd of people, but also discovering that the store is out of stock of the product that you’re looking for. Even if you find what you’re looking for, chances are you’re going to be in a line full of annoyed shoppers because they’ve also waited until the last minute to complete their shopping.

2. Be kind

Please don’t be the person that yells at employees because your coupon expired or the store ran out of the product that you waited until the absolute last minute to buy. It’s important to remember that most retail workers are high school and college students that are working crazy hours, and are already stressed enough with not having enough time for school work. A little kindness truly does go a long way and overall makes shopping an enjoyable experience for everyone.

3. Take advantage of Black Friday and

Cyber Monday

Despite all the craziness that comes with Black Friday, if you plan out everything that you want to get ahead of time, it’s well worth it. Be sure to check out the flyers and find out where you’ll get the best deal. If you’re someone who tries to avoid the crowds, then Cyber Monday is the best option for you. In the comfort of your home you can snag the sales, but make sure you shop as soon as the sale starts to avoid the products being sold out or the website crashing.

4. Make a list

Plan ahead of time so that you can get in and out of the store with ease. This will allow you to find the products that you’re looking for and keep you from buying anything that isn’t necessary. If you don’t know what you’re looking for, you will likely become frustrated and end up walking out empty handed or with a purchase you will regret later on.