Queer Representation in Netflix Original ‘Let It Snow’

Aline Silva Staff Writer

On Nov. 8, Netflix released “Let It Snow” as an adaptation of the novel with the same name written in 2008 by John Green, Lauren Myracle, and Maureen Johnson. The movie follows three interwoven stories about young people falling in love during a snowstorm on Christmas.

As with most adaptations, there are some differences between the movie and the book and “Let It Snow” is no exception. One major difference in the movie is the queer love story between two young women, Dorrie (Liv Hewson) and Kerry (Anna Akana). Dorrie who works at Waffle Town, a local restaurant, gushes about her crush on Kerry to her best friend Addie (Odeya Rush). When Kerry shows up to the restaurant with her friends, she ignores Dorrie. However, when Dorrie encounters Kerry in the bathroom, Kerry kisses her, sparking confusion in Dorrie about Kerry’s intentions. In the film, Dorrie struggles with feelings of confusion and rejection but musters up the courage to confront Kerry. In the end, she apologizes to Dorrie and admits that she is not out about her sexuality.

In an interview with Buzzfeed News Green said, “What made it difficult for them to be together is that the world in which we live in is not a world of equality that it needs to be. I hope that is changing for a lot of young people, that they do feel supported. I hope more young people feel supported coming out and being who they are.” The authors encouraged the lesbian adaptation and were grateful for the representation for young people everywhere. Like any classic movie, Kerry and Dorrie had a happy ending.

After Kerry tells Dorrie she’s afraid to come out to her friends and family, she tells her that she is inspired by her, and they kiss again. In an interview, Hewson said, “Coming out in high school is really hard.” Kerry’s position with her sexuality is something many LGBTQ people face in their lives but is not often talked about. Even though queer representation on television is at an all time high, there is not enough holiday-themed romantic comedies with LGBTQ characters at the forefront. The kiss between Kerry and Dorrie is interrupted by Kerry’s friends banging on Waffle Town’s window, cheering them on. The support from Kerry’s friends was a pivotal point for her character after fearing their judgment and criticism. In an interview with Buzzfeed News, Johnson said, “Yourfriendsarethereforyou. Give them the chance to stand up for you.” Beyond their queer representation, Kerry and Dorrie are relatable to anyone and everyone. Johnson said, “their love story demonstrates ‘all those feelings when you don’t know if the person you like likes you back, and the pain in wondering if they’re willing to say it knowing you’re willing to say it.’”

The end for Dorrie and Kerry is full of predictable kisses and smiles but heartfelt and perfect for a feel-good holiday movie. Grab a loved one and get ready to let it snow this Christmas break!