Tame Impala Blesses Listeners with Fourth Single: ‘Posthumous Forgiveness’

Robin Blassberg A&E Editor

On Dec. 3, Tame Impala released their fourth single, “Posthumous Forgiveness” off their upcoming album, “The Slow Rush.” The song spans six minutes and feels as if listeners are given two songs in one. The synths in the song prove Kevin Parker, the man behind Tame Impala, is veering further away from a rock sound and more towards a psychedelic soul feeling. The production is fantastic as usual, all done by Parker himself.

Melancholy themes are once again explored by Parker in “Posthumous Forgiveness.” He pays tribute to his father who died in 2009. This theme is defined just by the title, Listeners are introduced to this in the first verse, where Parker vulnerably shares “Ever since I was a small boy / No one else compared to you, no way / I always thought heroes stay close / Whenever troubled times arose.” These lyrics prove the estranged relationship he had with his father after his parent’s divorce, and the naivities he had as a child, seeping into the chorus. He revealed he was innocent and realized “I didn’t know / Ain’t always how it goes.”

He starts to delve into this innocence further and seems to let a little anger out in the second verse. The verse ends with him saying, anger- stricken, “To save all of us, you told us both to trust / But now I know you only saved yourself.” Accusations are then thrown in the bridge towards his father when he says, “And while you still had time, you had a chance / But you decided to take all your sorrys to the grave.”

The song then transforms from a drum filled funk experience into a hazy, moody, and brooding stripped-back sound. The tone also changes lyrically to a more depressing, regretful feeling. Parker ends the first verse of the second part reflecting on it being “Just a boy and his father” and “What [he’d] give for another.” He is likely desiring for another chance at a childhood relationship with a real, decent father. This shift is also included in the outro, where Parker’s emotions continue to run high. He begins to hint at the “forgiveness” aspect of the title when he concedes, “I wanna say it’s alright / You’re just a man after all.” Then, all the things he wishes he could’ve done and could do with his father is revealed: “Wanna play you all my songs / And hear your voice sing along.” At the end of the day, Parker wishes his relationship with his father had been more than what it was, and almost admits fault in not forgiving him before it was too late.

This release is interesting in the way that the sound of both parts of the song reflect a different past album. The funk heavy bass line of the first part is reminiscent of “Innerspeaker,” their debut studio album. The synths throughout the second time reminds listeners of their 2015 album, “Currents.” This song is an intriguing depiction of what is to come in “The Slow Rush,” out Feb. 14.