Downtown Willimantic to Host Annual Chocolate Festival

Ruth Gowitzke News Editor

On Feb. 8, Willimantic will be hosting the Annual Chocolate Festival. There will be multiple events to participate in including an event called “Cupid Made Me Do It.” According to cupidmademerun.com, this event is a two-mile road race or walk, that will benefit the Windham Area Interfaith Ministry. The Windham Area Interfaith Ministry, as stated by this same website is a “is a coalition of 40 churches serving over 8,000 people annually in 12 area towns with clothing, furniture, appliances and emergency financial assistance.” 

Another event that will be taking place is the “Let them Eat Cake! Chocolate Cake Baking Contest,” according to the same website, this event is open to all ages and have three judges that are all local professional bakers. These judges will include: “Robert Landolphi from University of Connecticut Dining Services, who is a gluten-free baking expert and Johnson & Wales grad. Eric Merkle, UConn’s bakery manager, and Hannah Roda-McNaboe, of Willington, another Johnson & Wales graduate who runs her own baking business, The Pastryarchy.” In addition, as stated by willimanticdowntown.org, cakes will be available for auction after noon and must be picked up by 2:30. The starting bids are $10. 

A third and final event that will be taking place is the “Chocolate Chip Stroll,” which will be taking place approximately 11 a.m. to 3 p.m., depending on the merchant. As discussed on the Willimantic downtown website, this event will be having local business offer free chocolate samples and special menu items. Three of the shops that are participating in the event include: A Cupcake for Later, Bliss, and Willimantic Brewing Company. Cupcake for Later will be handing out mini cupcakes in a few different flavors which comprise of:  Chocolate Salted Caramel, White Chocolate Raspberry and Red Velvet. Also, if you buy five cupcakes, you can get one free. Bliss will be offering chocolate bliss kisses and chocolate coffee drinks. Also, customers get a chance to spin a wheel for discounts and special treats. Willimantic Brewing Company’s SWAK stout will be on tap and there will be chocolate martinis for purchase. These  businesses are only three of at least 30 participants!