Music to Look out for in 2020

Robin Blassberg A&E EditorA&E Editor

The start of a new year brings the promise of new music. Some of the biggest names in the industry will be releasing albums throughout 2020.

One of the most anticipated albums that will come out of 2020 is Rihanna’s. Robyn Fenty has been teasing a reggae album for years, her latest release being 2016’s “Anti.” Although she has had massive success, with a fashion and makeup line, this release will undoubtedly be one of her highest achievements due to the sheer amount of anticipation surrounding it. Similar anticipation lies within Tame Impala’s next release, “The Slow Rush,” out Feb. 14. It has been four years since the extremely well-received “Currents,” and considering the band had originally pictured summer of 2019 for the release of “The Slow Rush,” fans have been eager. Over the last nine months, many singles have been gifted to fans to increase the hype. 

Dream pop queen Lana Del Rey has not taken a second to let the dust of 2019’s “Norman Fucking Rockwell” settle. She has promised to deliver a spoken word album, as well as a collection of new songs titled, “White Hot Forever.” Joining her in the camp of ladies providing new music is sister trio Haim. The three singles released since 2017’s “Something to Tell You.” 2020’s album promises to be a more quiet take on their usual classic rock infused songs. One must not forget about Grimes when detailing the music coming out in the first year of the new decade. While it is hard to fit her music into a box, she undoubtedly has a large amount of fans who have been waiting patiently since 2015’s “Art Angels,” which has been considered a masterpiece by Pitchfork Magazine. According to Grimes, the record is “a concept album about the anthropomorphic goddess of climate change.” Be on the lookout on Feb. 21 for “Miss Anthropocene.” 

It would be an injustice to not talk about Best Coast when discussing the most exciting arrivals of 2020. Bethany Cosentino and Bob Bruno of Best Coast have not come out with an album since 2018’s children’s album, “Best Kids,” and the antecedent 2015 success “California Nights.” The surf-pop duo will release “Always Tomorrow,” with a tour beginning in late February. Arguably one of the most anticipated albums is The 1975’s “Notes on a Conditional Form,” arriving April 24. Their last album, “A Brief Inquiry into Online Relationships” proved to be a massive success so fans expect nothing but the best for the April release. The intro to the album features a spoken word call to action by climate activist Greta Thunberg. 

Be sure to keep the aforementioned albums on your radar this year. The music world is sure to not disappoint in 2020.