Why You Should Join The Campus Lantern

Eric Warner Staff Writer

For many decades now, as technology continues to advance and become increasingly accessible to the common populace, many have claimed that print media is dying if not already dead from the mainstream perspectives. The introduction of laptops, tablets, Kindles, smartphones, etc., have caused thousands of readers who relied on paper-based information to move on to arguably cheaper and space effective sources of digital journalism. Sources of physical journalism, such as magazines and newspapers, have since struggled to regain their foothold in the hands of the public with many in the field of print media losing faith that the medium can recover.  upcoming journalists should still embrace and work in some aspect of paper journalism.  Upcoming journalists should still embrace and work in some aspect of paper journalism, even though it’s becoming increasingly difficult to become financially successful in print media.  

The Campus Lantern, Eastern Connecticut State University’s local student newspaper, was established in 1945 and has been the source of informative campus news for decades. Although many of the campus’s news can be accessed online through the university’s website, the university’s local news broadcast ETV News, and the university’s local radio station WECS 90.1 FM, they can only relay information in brief bite-size intervals and save for information posted on the website. While it is beneficial for journalism students to learn how to write for these mediums, students will also find writing for the Campus Lantern beneficial. 

Unlike writing for the radio or television stations, the Campus Lantern allows writers to detail any topic in depth with their article(s), which ranges from 350-750 words per article. Staff writers can write about on-campus events or even national and global developments. However, they can also write in other sections such as Arts & Entertainment, Sports, and Opinion. Arts & Entertainment and Sports are pretty self-explanatory, but the opinion section does not reflect the ideals of the campus; it is evident of each individual’s opinions on certain topics instead. Students can also write for the expression section, which is a place where writers can submit their own poetry, fictional stories, piece of art, or photos to get published. 

Writing for the Lantern motivates students to interact with on-campus events and expand their researching and interviewing skills. Also, staff writers are able to increase their experience with writing in general and hone their skills for writing in the professional field. This allows students to add an occupation onto their resumes and notifies future employers that these future journalists have more experience in the field than others. Students can build a vast physical portfolio at Eastern for their undergrad and can even receive college credit for writing in the newspaper by signing up to three one credit practicums. Students that are great writers and have been thoroughly involved with the newspaper’s affairs can become an editor if any position opens up for any section; they will be able to get paid. The Lantern also offers an advertising manager position, which oversees the ads for the paper. When the position opens up, any student can apply. 

I believe that newspapers can regain their notoriety by becoming homes for stories that go unjustly untold to the general public since most people use digital media in the technological reliant world of today.  Often online news sites repeat the same information like sound in a vacuum so newspapers can help tell the world significant and inspiring stories that are almost ever known to the general public. It’s up to the editors, staff writers, and contributing writers to find and tell these stories; with enough intuition, I believe these writers and stories can keep newspapers relevant in the 21st century. Newspapers, like any other medium, will have to evolve with the passing of time. I urge readers, particularly those aspiring to work in the field of journalism, to give newspapers a chance and help ensure that this medium, which has kept people informed for centuries, does not disappear any time soon. 

The Campus Lantern meets every Wednesday at 3 pm in the Student Center’s SGA Suite. When the paper comes out, they can be found all around campus in a box drop or at any openings of popular buildings.