Editor's Picks News

The CICD Hosts ‘Ready, Set, Graduate!’

Ruth Gowitzke News Editor

On Feb. 12, at 4 p.m., The Center for Internships and Career Development hosted an event called Ready Set Graduate! This event was to help seniors prepare for the Career Fair that will be occurring on Apr. 1. This event was also hosted to help seniors learn more about how to obtain a job for the future and learn about potential career opportunities from around this area. One student, Avery Smith, said that she attended this event for that reason; to see what options there are for seniors like her. 

During this event, there was a “career closet” available for students to pick out three professional clothes items from. Some of those items included dress shirts, blouses, dress pants, dresses, blazers and suit jackets. These clothes can be worn for the career fair or any job interview the student could have. Other valuable aspects of the event included mock interviews and resume reviews. Those people helping the students were there to make sure that when they have an interview they are fully prepared for any question and also have a polished resume to submit to any future job opportunities. In addition, there was a photographer there who could take students pictures for LinkedIn, which is a networking career website. There was also a representative from the financial aid office that was there to help students map out their financial plans if there were planning to attend graduate school. There was also different kinds of food available for students and the representatives to take which included   small entrees like small  pita snacks and rolls with meat stuffed inside. There were also desserts such as cookies and brownies.  

In terms of more job related opportunities, there were a variety of different job services that allow students to be able to find the best job for them. One of these services included The American Job Center. Jenisse Morales, one of the representatives of the Willimantic Job Center, said that this organization benefits students in that it “helps provide the tools students need to get a job.” The American Job Center offers a variety of free services. According to a packet from the job center, these services include job search assistance, career counseling, job-related copying, faxing and mailing and many more. There are also a lot of workshops available to help further career development. One of those workshops comprises of disability resource awareness, for those who may have a disability and want to learn more about resources for employment. 

Another job service that was a part of this event was Kelly Educational Staffing. According to kellyeducationalstaffing.us, this service helps to provide substitute teachers and other administrative staff to schools all over the world. This can also include clerical, food service and janitorial staff as well. Other job providers at the event were CVS and Enterprise Rent a Car. 

As well as job services, there was also another service there, that provides students or recent graduaes with experience working with students who may be not doing well in school. City Year, which is also associated with AmeriCorp, helps students to gain leadership skills and can help them figure out what may be next in thier life, in this year of service to the community. However, this service does provide students or recent graduates with a bi-weekly stipend and a guaranteed scholarship at the end of that year. 

Vilma Silva, who now has been working for City Year for eight years, talked about her own experience doing her own two service years. She said that she gained skills like pubic speaking, self-confidence, and the ability to work with multiple groups of people, no matter the age. “No matter what job you have, she said, “You have to work with other people.”

Remember to attend the Career and Internships Fair on Apr. 1, to see what unique opportunities could be in store for your future career.