Dear College Students, Start Taking Care of Yourself

Jennifer Zuniga Opinion Editor 

College students, it is time to start taking care of yourself. I know life can get busy for you. You have deadlines to meet. You might have a job, be in a relationship, or even be involved with clubs and organizations. It’s difficult to try to manage it all, but your health is important. Neglecting to take of your well-being can suffer in the long run. You need to start taking care of yourself now. It is not too late. Plus, you only have one body for the rest of your life, so why wouldn’t you want to take care of it?

I know that it is important to finish everything that you may need for a class. I understand why some people may need to pull all-nighters to meet a deadline, but doing so is not healthy. According to Medical News Today, “sleep is crucial for your body because it helps better productivity and concentration, lower weight gain risk, better calorie regulation, greater athletic performance, lower risk of heart disease, and stronger immune system.” The lack of sleep can include many factors such as lack of time-management skills, procrastination, lack of motivation, etc. It is time to start taking charge of your sleeping schedule by making sure you are getting the right number of hours of sleep each day. This can only be done if you train your body to sleep and wake up at the same time every single day. You can set an alarm each night to make sure that it is being done. Start lowering your consumption time on the certain things that may be consuming your time in the daily. For example, if you watch Netflix for one hour and a half each day, start by lowering the time; that can be done by restricting the amount of time that you are allowed to be on the site. When you become comfortable with a time, then keep it by making sure you don’t go over the time. It will require a lot of self-control, but you got this. If you are lacking motivation, always remember why you are here and where you want to be in a few years (your goals). Remember that hard work always pays off.    

It is always easy to want to give in to your temptations when it comes to sugary or caffeinated drinks, but it is not healthy for you. On the other hand, you know what is? If you said “water,” then you are right. Healthline states, “water is important for many reasons such as it boosts energy, helps with weight loss, aids digestion, detoxifies, and hydrates your skin. Health authorities recommend eight 8-ounce glasses, which equals about 2 liters, or half a gallon.” Start drinking more water daily. Your body will thank you later. You can always make sure you always have a water bottle with you; it will come in handy. Also, you can always try adding fruit to your water to add flavor. 

Another important factor that you should keep in mind is to eat healthier. It is cheaper to buy food that isn’t healthy for you; the struggle is real. It’s a real problem that many of you face daily. Coming to college is not cheap. However, eating healthy is crucial. As stated by HHS.gov, “Good nutrition is an important part of leading a healthy lifestyle. Combined with physical activity, your diet can help you to reach and maintain a healthy weight, reduce your risk of chronic diseases (like heart disease and cancer), and promote your overall health. After all, you are what you eat. 

With trying to manage your time, sometimes you can oversee working out as something crucial that your body needs. I get it, though. Sometimes it is better to sleep-in or even try to get that extra studying time; after all, every minute counts. However, regular physical activity can improve your muscle strength and boost your endurance.  According to Mayo Clinic, “Exercise delivers oxygen and nutrients to your tissues and helps your cardiovascular system work more efficiently. And when your heart and lung health improve, you have more energy to tackle daily chores.” If you lack motivation to go to the gym, go with some friends or think about how good you are going to feel afterward. 

Don’t let the busyness of life rob you from taking care of your well-being. Always take in that if you are not healthy, then other tasks in your life won’t be possible to complete. You want to take care of the only body that you have. It is never too late to change your habits.