Sports

Eastern’s Indoor Track Team Continues to Set New Records

Aaron Hostetler Sports Editor

Eastern’s Indoor Track and Field team continues to have a successful season after their performance at the MIT Gordon Kelley Invitational on February 15th.  They had previously performed in four consecutive meets in prior weeks, and have set some impressive times for the team’s record. 

Senior JahDey Wright had his best performance of the season, with a winning triple jump of 43-7 (13.29m). Senior graduate student Sam McKosky had a winning time of 2:21:26 in the 800 meter race, which was a personal best for her in this event. Senior Ahriyan Brown also ran her best time of 26.55 seconds in the 200 meter dash. All records have qualified them for the NCAA Division III New England Championships. Other great accomplishments among the team were made by Freshman Senior graduate student Sam McKosky had a winning time of 2:21:26 in the 800 meter race, which was a personal best for her in this event. Senior Ahriyan Brown also ran her best time of 26.55 seconds in the 200 meter dash. All records have qualified them for the NCAA Division III New England Championships. Other great accomplishments among the team were made by Freshman Cory Bill, and Sophomores Kyle Smith, and Ryan Escoda. Bill set another personal record for himself by running the 400 meter dash in 52.20 seconds. Smith ran his best time in the 800 meter race with a time of 2:04.71, while Escoda won the mile with a swift time of 4:28.55. Escoda has won the “Rookie Track Athlete of the Year” award in 2019 after his spectacular performance at Yale University, when he ran the mile in 4:27. He continues to lead the distance runners strong in the season going forward.

The indoor track season started off strong with their  first meet on December 7th at  the Smith College Winter Classic Meet in Northampton Massachusetts. Although this was a non-scoring meet, Senior Ahriyan Brown and Sophomore Rahman Oteng  both broke their program records in the 60 meter dash. Brown won her race with a time of 8.07 seconds, while Oteng finished with a time of 6.92 seconds. Both sprinters also set records for the 200 meter dash, with Brown running a 26.76, and Oteng running a 22.53. Both times came within a second of breaking the male and female records for this event that have lasted a decade.

The team has also had tremendous success in recent weeks, starting with their  performances at the Utica College Invitational on January 18th (Eastern placed 9th out of 29 teams overall), and the Springfield College Massasoit Classic meet on January 25th. At this meet, Ryan Escoda became the only individual among the men’s competitors to win two events, which in his case were the mile and the 3000 meter race.