Celebration of Reading Across America Day

Ruth Gowitzke News Editor

On Mar. 2, from 6 p.m., to 8 p.m., Sigma Tau Delta English Honor Society, and Eastern Aspiring Educators Club hosted an event that in the library, that celebrated Reading Across America Day. According to readacrossamerica.org, this day was “launched in 1998 by the National Education Association (NEA), Read Across America is the nation’s largest celebration of reading. This year-round program focuses on motivating children and teens to read through events, partnerships, and reading resources that are about everyone, for everyone.”

During the event, there were many literature related activities for students and other members of the community to participate in. One of the activities that was offered was rock painting that was inspired by the book: “Scribble Stones.” This book tells the story of a stone who wanted to be different from the other stones and discovers out that he can become a painted rock. Another activity that was available for students was a Harry Potter photo booth where students could grab different masks or ties to wear as they pose behind a most wanted wizard poster. A third activity that was offered was bookmark making, where students could pick from a variety of different colored paper to make their own bookmark. There was also a section in the library with an assortment of different children’s books to look at and games that people could play. 

Another literature themed part of this event was the assortment of different food options that students could choose from that were inspired by different books. There was strawberries and cream from “Little Women”, chocolate chip cookies from “If you give a mouse a cookie,” and Turkish Delight from “The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe.” There were also chocolate frogs from the Harry Potter series, madeleines from “In Search of Lost Time,” and Gummy “bookworms.” In addition, there were also healthier options which included vegetables from Mr. MacGregor’s garden, from “The Tale of Peter Rabbit”, and not-so-stinky cheese, from “The Stinky Cheese Man.” Furthermore, there was a drink option that included raspberry cordial from “Anne of Green Gables.”

This event was also part of the book swap and sale that took place the same day. Sigma hosted this event in Webb Lobby from 10 a.m., to 4 p.m., selling books for $1 and swapping any books that students or faculty may need or not want anymore. One interesting aspect of this event was that some of the books offered were wrapped so that people would only get to know what the book was about based on the description that was written on the wrapping.