Eastern Theatre to Present ‘The Brothers Size’ by Academy Award-Winning Writer

Sheila RuJoub Institutional Advancement

Eastern Connecticut State University’s Performing Arts Department is proud to present “The Brothers Size” by Tarell Alvin McCraney, co-creator of the Academy Award-winning film “Moonlight.” The production will run in the Fine Arts Instructional Center (FAIC) DelMonte-Bernstein Studio Theater from March 3-8. 

Set in the sweltering heat of the Louisiana bayou, Ogun Size tenuously reunites with his brother Oshoosi, who has recently been released from prison. When Oshoosi’s alluring former cellmate Elegba arrives, the two brothers find themselves on a collision course with fate in this unflinching and tender exploration of the complicated bonds of brotherhood. This haunting, humorous and heartbreaking masterpiece magnifies the struggle for freedom and the need to belong. It probes sexuality, coming of age, and the bonds of family through the use of poetry, music, movement and Yoruba mythology.

On Friday, March 6 at 6 p.m., there will be a special performance featuring a pre-show reception at 5 p.m. in the FAIC Art Gallery. 

Immediately following the performance will be a post-show discussion, sponsored by the Office of Equity & Diversity with Dr. Isaiah M. Wooden, theatre scholar, director, dramaturg and co-author of the forthcoming book “Tarell Alvin McCraney: Theater, Performance, and Collaboration.”

Eastern’s production of “The Brothers Size” features students Karis Burke, RJ Dewar, Kevin Insignares, Austin Washington and JahDey Wright. The production is directed and co-choreographed by Theatre Professor DeRon Williams. The design team includes Theatre Professors Kristen Morgan (scenic design) and Anya Sokolovskaya (costume design), alumna Caitlighn Foley (lighting design), students Eniola Lawal (original music and sound design), Jackie Verian and Ishah Azeez (co-choreography), Jenique Blair (projection design) and Massiel Evans (assistant direction).