‘Final Fantasy VII’ Demo Promises Fun and Memorable Experience

Vincent Knox Editor-in-Chief

The “Final Fantasy” franchise is a cornerstone of videogame history. It is one of the most recognizable names in gaming and its innovations have continued to impact many role-playing games that have followed. Many entries of this renowned franchise have stood out to players, but perhaps none more so than “Final Fantasy VII”. It’s epic story, diverse cast, and technical aspects were first class in 1997, the year of its release. Since then, the game and its protagonist, the ever-brooding Cloud Strife, have been cemented as one of the most memorable experiences in video game history. The game has been remastered on numerous platforms, but now, for the first time, it is being completely remade.

Square Enix is rebuilding the world of “Final Fantasy VII” from the ground up and really expanding the game’s universe. They are expanding so much, it will be released in multiple parts, the first taking place in the city of Midgar, Midgar is the first area of the original and typically only takes the average player no more than five or six hours to complete. This one section of the original game will now be the length of a full playthrough of any other Final Fantasy game. This goes to show just how much effort is being put into this game’s development.

A demo is now available on the PlayStation Store. The demo is the first quest or mission of the game, where Cloud is working for a group known as AVALANCHE who are combating the Shinra Electric Power Company, who they believe to be morally corrupt and corrupting the planet. The mission takes Cloud, along with 4 members of AVALANCHE, Barret, Jessie, Biggs, and Wedge, to the core of the Mako Reactor 1. Their aim is to blow up the reactor and interrupt Shinra’s pumping of the energy source known as Mako. The demo is very promising. The game’s lighting and attention to detail, the swift and fun combat, and the spot-on voice acting all work together to increase the anticipation for the game’s release on April 10, 2020. If the entirety of the game runs as well as the demo, then “Final Fantasy VII” will have placed itself back at the forefront of many gamers minds, and rightly so.