How to Handle Midterm Stress

Ruth Gowitzke New Editor  

It’s that time of the semester again, midterms! That joyous time of the semester where everyone seems to drag themselves to class or to not even bother going. Whether or not you have had any midterms yet, it is important to know ways that you can handle the inevitable stress that comes with them. Here is a list of five ways to handle midterm stress: 

1. Take a few deep breaths. It is important to remember to take deep breaths every once in a while, when it seems as if you are drowning in all of the studying or the projects. Deep breathing helps center yourself and gain more focus on what you are doing. I also find that deep breathing helps to relax your mind by letting go of all the tasks that are plaguing your mind.

2. Do something fun. I think it is important to take a break from studying to do something fun for a while, so that when you go back to the work, you have a fresh mind that is ready to work again. Of course, you can’t spend all your time doing that fun thing, because then, you would get nothing done. That is why it is important to schedule a time where you think you would benefit from a break, or if you really can’t stand working anymore, then take that break. It will benefit you in the long run. 

3. Be organized. This one seems obvious, but it is not something that should be overlooked. Being organized can involve many different things in midterm studying. This could be the organization of notecards, or documents on your computer that you need for midterms. This could also include a checklist of all the things that you may have to get done. However, this method is not for everyone, as seeing all the tasks you may have to do may stress you out more. So, proceed with caution. Another aspect of organization that relates to midterms is how you organize the time you may want to spend on each task. Some studying or projects may take longer than others, so make sure to organize which tasks you think should come first.

4. Study with friends. Sometimes it is better to work with others when you are studying, as your friends or colleagues may be able to offer insight on how to learn a topic better if you are not understanding it. I know there is a feeling of dread when a class is asked to work in a group project, but group studying can offer a whole different experience. Studying with friends can also provide a sense of accomplishment when you are all able to learn together, rather than just trying to study by yourself. The drawback to this method of studying can be that you get no studying done at all. So, if you think, that group work with help you stress less while studying for midterms, go ahead and try it.

5. Do one question at a time. Whether the midterm is multiple choice, short answers, or essays, be sure to take your time. Even if you know all the answers to the questions, it is better to go a little slower and make sure you answer the questions to the best that they can be.