How I Felt After Hearing the Cancellation of the Commencement Ceremony

Ruth Gowitzke News Editor

When the President of Eastern announced that classes would resume online for the rest of the semester, my immediate reaction was, “What would happen with graduation?” As it turned out, in that same email, the President announced that the May commencement was also cancelled. Immediately I was met with a mixture of feelings of anger and sadness. Anger, because I spent all this time and money at Eastern, and I did not get to do the one thing I had been waiting for since January. I also felt anger because it seems like this sort of thing always happens to me. When I graduated high school, the concert band that I was in, got to go to Disneyland after I had just left. Not that Disneyland is more important than the commencement ceremony, it was just more important to me at the time. I was met with sadness as well because I knew that this was probably one of the last times I would get to see my fellow seniors, and possibly meet new ones that I hadn’t had any classes with. I was also sad for my sister who was supposed to graduate with me. I wanted to be able to see her walk across the stage. 

Despite the strong feelings of frustration, my mother had encouraged the both of us to think about the good that could come from this, especially since we have many other things that we need to focus on more; like actually finishing the work we need to graduate. But what could possibly be good about not having the commencement ceremony? Well, one thing that I had thought of is that now I don’t have to sit in a chair for two hours anxiously waiting for my name to be called. I know it’s cool to be able to see all the seniors who get their degrees and shake hands with people and stuff, but it gets kind of boring after a while. Another good thing that comes from not walking across the stage is that now I don’t have to pay at least 50 dollars for the cap and gown. I can save that money for something else. My mother even told me that my older sisters and brothers didn’t even go to their bachelor’s degree ceremony. But they did go when they received their master’s degrees.

I know there are a lot of people that are disappointed to not be able to walk across the stage in May, but it is important to look at the bright side of things once in a while, especially in these trying times. However, more recently, Elsa Nunez has mentioned other options for the ceremony including postponing it to a later date or having a virtual ceremony. I personally think a virtual ceremony would be kind of interesting because you could just lay in your bed and eat snacks while the speakers are talking. 

All in all, whatever you may be feeling at this time about graduation, it is important to remember to support each other and be there for everyone who may be struggling with this, even if you can’t be with them physically.