To The Class of 2020

Marissa Starkel Staff Writer

I want to start off by saying how sorry I am that we were robbed of what was supposed to be the greatest last two months of our undergraduate college careers. We spent our entire lives leading up to this huge milestone that we’ve been working for nonstop. Instead of celebrating, we are grieving the time stripped away from us that can never be given back. 

It wasn’t supposed to end this way. We still had so many thirsty Thursdays at Sports and karaoke Saturdays at Blarneys left. We didn’t know we attended our last class in our unassigned assigned seat. For many of you, you attended your last sports event and had no idea. We didn’t know that so many things would be for the last time and I think that’s what hurts us the most. At first I kept asking myself, why us? Why now? All of our hard work for four years, only to be crushed by a pandemic. The sad and scary truth is there is nothing we can do about it. After all, that’s how life works, right? Although, what we can do is control how we react to this. 

Twenty or so years down the road when your children ask you about your college experience, you won’t think of the corona virus. You’ll think of your roommates, decorating your dorm, struggling to find parking, getting sick from eating at Hurley, naps in the library, overpaying for coffee from the Student Center, running to catch the bus to Sports, passing the class that you thought for sure you would fail, lifelong friends, and professors that inspired you. 

When you think of your time at Eastern, I don’t want you to remember how the coronavirus ruined your senior year. I want you to reminisce on all of the memories and lifelong friendships you’ve made that have allowed you to make it this far. Despite us not being able to walk at graduation in May, it does not make our accomplishments any less valuable. Congratulations class of 2020, we made it.