Marissa Starkel Staff Writer
Summer is approaching fast, which means it’s ice cream season. If you’re looking for a fun little adventure, consider checking out the best ice cream spots in Connecticut. Here’s a look at top sweet spots that offer outstanding and delicious flavors.
- Buttonwood Farm, Griswold: Not only are they known for their annual “Sunflowers for Wishes” which is when the farm’s 14 acres are filled with sunflowers in honor of the Make-A-Wish Foundation of Connecticut. They have an incredible ice-cream menu with 6o different flavors. There is truly something for everyone!
- Mystic Drawbridge Ice Cream, Mystic: Located in beautiful downtown Mystic, this place offers numerous delicious selections. Non-dairy options have recently become available to accommodate ice cream lovers! Definitely visit during different seasons to taste Pumpkin Pie and Cookie Monster ice-cream. Be sure to get there early, because there’s always a line no matter the weather.
- UConn Dairy Bar, Storrs: Since 1953, this place still makes their ice-cream from their original recipe. They offer different options depending what you’re craving. This includes a cup, cone, milkshake, sundae, or float. If you can’t get enough of this yummy homemade ice cream, you can buy half gallons, ice-cream pies, ice-cream cookie sandwiches, and more to take home with you.
- Shady Glen, Manchester: This 1950s themed diner is a place that everyone should experience at least once. After you’ve devoured one of their gooey cheeseburgers and fries, you won’t be able to say no to some of their ice-cream. Not only do they offer traditional flavors, but also some unique flavors. Be sure to take home a gallon of ice cream on your way out to let the experience continue.
- The Farmer’s Cow, Mansfield: This place is made up of six Connecticut family dairy farms that not only produce milk, eggs, cider, and half and half, but they are famous for their ice-cream. If you’re looking for fresh, locally produced ice-cream with zero artificial growth hormones, this is the place to go. From Cow Barn Chocolate to raspberry chocolate chip, they offer numerous delicious flavors.