Sports

COVID-19 and the Sports Community

Darius Turner Staff Writer

It has been many months now and we still continue to follow COVID-19 and all the challenges it has to offer. As of May 6, there have been updates around CT about the coronavirus cases. In Hartford County, the cases currently sit at 6,530, 513 cases in Tolland, 742 in Middlesex, 242 in Windham, 704 in New London, 1,085 in Litchfield, 8,410 in New Haven, and Fairfield County comes in at 12,455 with the most cases in the state. There are about 30,995 overall cases in CT, and 2,718 deaths as of May 6, 2020. Overall, in the US there are 1.26 million confirmed cases, 74,577 deaths, and 171,000 people who have successfully recovered. 

There has also been breaking news regarding school systems. Governor Ned Lamont announced Tuesday, May 5, that all schools in CT will remain online for the rest of the academic year, as it was decided that this would be best for everyone’s safety. Along with all schools being closed for the rest of the year, the CIAC (Connecticut Interscholastic Athletic Conference) made the decision of cancelling all spring sports. 

There has been some good news lately regarding the rate of infection. For the 11th consecutive day, hospitalizations have continued to decrease, which is helping officials make decisions on whether the state should reopen on May 20th. As we continue to follow all major and minor league sports, at this time it is still unknown when the excitement, fun and entertainment will resume to normal. 

Interviews have been conducted with leagues and union officials. According to the responses that were given across the US, major league sports revealed that they will no longer cancel seasons, but with time moving along it would be the postseason for the NBA and the NHL. There have been debates about whether games should be played with or without fans, but that the process will work remains unsure. Also, there have been many debates about restructuring game schedules and divisions, but it is unsure of how and when the decision will be decided. According to the NFL, the league sent a memo to all 32 teams giving an update and outlining procedures on the reopening process of team facilities and is expected to be in place by May 15. Although it is unsure when we could all see things returning to normal, we hope that our country can make a full recovery reopen successfully.