Why ‘Zoey’s Extraordinary Playlist’ is Worth Watching

Ruth Gowtizke News Editor

The season one finale of “Zoey’s Extraordinary Playlist” aired on May 3, but NBC hasn’t announced if there is a second season coming in the fall. Even with its short season, only totaling 12 episodes, there are still many reasons why this show is worth watching.

One of the reasons is that it is a musical. If you liked shows like “Glee,” then this show may be the one for you. However, the interesting thing about it is that Zoey, the main character, can see everyone dancing and singing all around her, but they are not even aware that it is happening. The songs that they are singing, which Zoey eventually calls their “heart songs,” are songs that express their true feelings, even though they are not actually saying them out loud. There are also a lot of genres of music reflecting different eras, which include songs like “This Little Light of Mine” by Odetta, “I Think I Love You” by The Partridge Family and many contemporary songs including, “Jealous” by Nick Jonas.

In addition to the interesting soundtrack, there are also a lot of familiar faces in the show. Pete Gallagher plays Zoey’s dad, Skyler Astin, who is Zoey’s best friend, Mary Steenburgen who plays Zoey’s mother, Lauran Graham who plays Zoey’s boss and many more. Zoey is played by Jane Levy who used to be on a show in 2011 called “Suburgatory.”

Another reason to watch this show is the comedy. It is nice to be able to step back from the drama to see some more lighthearted moments. These moments can range from the accidental singing, to workplace incidents that Zoey faces when she is at her job at SPRQ Point. SPRQ Point is a tech firm that focuses on the development of smart devices and applications. Each comedic element is laid out in a way that does not feel forced, which makes the story more enjoyable to watch.However, it is also worth mentioning the dramatic elements of this show because there is one element that is important for anyone to take note of. That element is the portrayal of a character living with a rare degenerative disease called PSP (Progressive Supranuclear Palsy). In the first episode, viewers find out how this disease has affected Zoey’s father and his family. I think it was one of the more important dramatic elements to mention because it is based on the creator’s own father who lived with the condition. The creator took what he had experienced in his own life with his father and portrayed it through another, which I think is important in expressing more representation of this disease if people are not aware of it.