Sports

NFL Week 2 Predictions

Fernando Jeronimo Sports Editor

What a crazy start to the season during week one. From the Jaguars showing everyone that they are not ready to tank yet to Brady and the Buccaneers and their early struggles of trust on the field. Now that week one is over, it is time to start predicting week two match-ups.

Thursday Night Football

(0-1) Bengals @ Browns (0-1)

Both teams coming off a loss they both will look to rebound from last week in this divisional match-up. Bengals rookie quarterback Joe Burrow’s debut stat line for week one, 23/36 193 yards 1 interception; 8 carries 46 yards 1 rushing touchdown, shows that he has more to prove in week two against the Browns defense that got torn apart against the Ravens during week one. Burrow managed to drive down the field on his final drive to set up Randy Bullock for the 31-yard chip shot field goal to tie the game up in the final seconds of the game.

Unfortunately, Bullock missed the field goal to give the Bengals the loss. As for the Browns, their offensive struggles continue from last season after only scoring six points against the Ravens that came in the first quarter of the game. With the Browns having a very strong offense but only putting up six points, it is unacceptable from them and they need to show the league that they can change their season around quick and not make it a repeat of last season.

Browns 24 Bengals 20

(1-0) Jaguars @ Titans (1-0)

Jaguars showed the league last week that they are not tanking for the #1 pick of the 2021 draft after beating the Colts with veteran quarterback Philip Rivers at the helm. As for the Titans they are having some kicking issues to fix before this game and seeing if kicker Stephen Gostkowski is right for them after he went 1/4 missing two field goals, an extra point and had a field goal blocked. The Titans did manage to win on his game winning field goal but that should not have been the case for them.

Jaguars 28 Titans 24

(0-1) Panthers @ Buccaneers (0-1)

Both teams coming off a loss but the Panthers proved that their offense could drive down the field and score. With Running Back Christian McCaffrey scoring two of their three touchdowns and quarterback Teddy Bridgewaters debut on his new team with the ability to escape the pocket and passing ability throwing no interceptions. The Buccaneers on the other hand had many struggles with quarterback Tom Brady throwing two interceptions in his debut. The Buccaneers offense did not look so good and looked like many of them were not on the same page. The Panthers need to incorporate more in their passing game and not rely on just McCaffrey.

Buccaneers 31 Panthers 27

(0-1) Broncos @ Steelers (1-0)

Both offense and Defense showed up big against the Giants last week and quarterback Ben Roethlisberger proved that he has not fallen off the map after coming off a season ending injury last season. The Broncos offense struggled a bit without wide receiver Courtland Sutton in last week’s battle against the Titans. The Steelers showed that they could be a strong playoff contending team this season where the Broncos showed the need a little bit more chemistry between the players.

Steelers 30 Broncos 20

(1-0) Rams @ Eagles (0-1)

The Rams managed to hold off the Cowboys, but their quarterback Jared Goff needs to step his game after only throwing for 275 yards 1 interception; 4 carries 15 rushing yards. As for the Eagles… They need to change their offense after blowing 17-0 lead against the Washington Football Team.

Rams 34 Eagles 20

(0-1) 49ers @ Jets (0-1)

Both teams coming off a loss with both teams losing a divisional match-up. The 49ers will bounce back though against a Jets offense that will be left without their starting running back Le’Veon Bell. The 49ers have one of the top defenses in the league this year and will show during week two. For the Jets, quarterback Sam Darnold need to find more connections with his receivers and their defense needs to stop the 49ers strong running game.

49ers 37 Jets 13

(1-0) Bills @ Dolphins (0-1)

The Dolphins are still showing struggles with their offense after turning the ball over three times. To beat this strong Bills defense the key is to not turn the ball over and not forcing throws into tight windows. Bills played very good during week 1 but they did face an easy match-up against the Jets.  

Bills 23 Dolphins 17

(0-1) Vikings @ Colts (0-1)

Both teams had tough losses with Vikings scoring high but still losing to a divisional match-up against the Packers and the Colts losing also to a divisional match-up but losing by only seven points. This game will be a shootout and will be high scoring but both teams defense will need to find a way to stop each other strong offenses. Both veteran quarterbacks need to figure out a way to not turn the ball over after Vikings quarterback Kirk Cousins threw one and Colts quarterback Philip Rivers throwing two.

Vikings 37 Colts 33

(0-1) Lions @ Packers (1-0)

The Lions suffered a disappointing loss against the Bears after blowing a 23-6 lead in the 4th quarter. The Lions will hope to have their star receiver Kenny Golladay back for this week’s match-up. The Packers offense showed a lot more potential than expected after putting up 43 points against the Vikings. With the Packers not drafting a wide receiver in the 2020 draft but drafting a quarterback in the first and a running back in the second. Many people thought that this team would be a run first offense this season but that looked to not be the case. After speculations of the Packers looking into the future Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers threw for 364 yards and 4 touchdowns and showed that he is not ready to hang the cleats up yet. Rodgers has a lot more to prove this season and he is only getting started.

Packers 38 Lions 26

(0-1) Falcons @ Cowboys (0-1)

Falcons showed a lot of sparks in their passing game with three receivers having over 100 yards receiving last week. While the Cowboys had no receivers with over 100 yards receiving.  

The Cowboys offense looked to be struggling and they need to find a way to answer. Even though both teams suffered losses the stats show which team has a chance to strike again.

Falcons 40 Cowboys 28

(0-1) Giants @ Bears (1-0)

Watching Giants quarterback Daniel Jones struggle all game against one of the top defenses in the league and running back Saquan Barkley not showing his elite self is a big deal. The Giants need to find a way to get their offensive line better and Jones needs to release the ball sooner. For the Bears, even though they won last week, they only started to wake up in the 4th quarter after being very quiet all game. The Bears will need to play the full 60 minutes instead of just 15 minutes of one quarter if they want to continue winning.

Bears 24 Giants 23

(1-0) Football Team

@  Cardinals (1-0)

The Washington Football Team managed to stun everyone after coming back and beating the Eagles. The Cardinals managed to do the same thing and steal a win from the 49ers last week. With both teams coming off a great win both teams are very different still. For example, the Football Team still needs to figure out their run game and who will lead the backfield for them. The Cardinals on the other hand have a very strong offense that can do about anything. The Football Team still has many questions they still need to answer.

Cardinals 38 Football Team 24

(1-0) Chiefs @ Chargers (1-0)

Not sure if there is too much needed to say for this match-up. Defending Superbowl Champions look to continue their run for the second year in a row. Chargers on the other hand just managed to sneak a win against the Bengals in a low scoring game.

Chiefs 37 Chargers 17

(1-0) Ravens @ Texans (0-1)

Ravens showed last week that their offense still cannot be stopped after beating the Browns by 32 points. The Texans though need to figure out chemistry between quarterback Deshuan Watson and his new receivers. The Texans biggest struggle last week was the air raid that they had with former Texans receiver DeAndre Hopkins who was traded away in the offseason.

Ravens 40 Texans 31

Sunday Night Football

(1-0) Patriots @ Seahawks (1-0)

The Seahawks defense got obliterated by the Falcons offense after allowing 450 passing yards. The offense managed to still stay ahead to pull of the win, but their defense should not be allowing that many yards in passing. The Patriots showed that they can win with their new quarterback Cam Newton at the helm after losing Tom Brady in free agency in the offseason. This will be a close match but also will not be high scoring.

Seahawks 24 Patriots 21

Monday Night Football

(1-0) Saints @ Raiders (1-0)

Saints had a very great game last week holding a great Buccaneers team. Saints quarterback Drew Brees will try to make another run to the playoffs this season. Raiders quarterback Derek Carr has not made it to the playoffs since the 2016 season. The Raiders drafted a lot of offensive weapons to give Derek Carr is last chance to prove himself this season.

Saints 31 Raiders 28