“The Shadow of the Wind” by Carlos Ruiz Zafón

Malek Y. Allari Staff Writer 

Carlos Ruiz Zafón was a Spanish writer who published his famous novel, “The Shadow of the Wind.” It is a story that takes place in Barcelona, Spain during the 1940s. A boy and his dad enter the Cemetery of the Forgotten Books, a library where they find old books and is only accessible to a few people. “The Shadow of the Wind” holds all the wisdom from the ancient and future. 

I found this books to be one of the bests, even if it never won the Nobel Literature Prize. I reading this story will leave a mark that will stay long enough until the end of time. After reading this book, I never found one as great as this one. As stated by the Daily Telegraph, “A popular masterpiece, an instant classic,” and “This book will change your life.” 

Unfortunately, Carlos Ruiz Zafón died of cancer June 19, 2020. We all know that 2020 has been a challenging year and took precious people away from this world. However, Ruiz Zafón continues to live in the hearts of many. I believe that this statement, found in the book, will leave many people to think and believe that these stories will continue to live: “Every book, every volume you see here, has a soul. The soul of the person who wrote it and those who read it and lived as well as dreamed with it. Every time a book changes hands, every time someone runs his eyes down its pages, its spirit grows and strengthens.” 

The summary of this book, even though I believe that you should just go grab a copy and not read the summary, is about a boy who is sad after his mother’s death and stumbles in front of a book by an unknown author. After finishing the book, the boy sets a life goal to find the author of this book. Years passed and his search for the author continues to intensify with exhaustion. The boy, who grow up to be a man, meets with a beggar who was an army officer and gains wisdom from him. After searching the whole library and publication houses, the boy is lost. At the end of the story, Carlos Ruiz Zafón left us with a very incredible story from start to finish. 

As this book was his first adult novel, Ruiz Zafón aced and found a way into the hearts of readers. He fed us with so much wisdom from his first book of the series “The Cemetery of Forgotten Books.” It was initially written in Spanish, but I recommend the translator version by Lucia Graves since she had significant usage of words. Words cannot express this enough, but not reading “The Shadow of the Wind” is a long-life mistake