Beware the Spooky COVID Season

Malek Y. Allari Staff Writer

The Spooky Season, known as Halloween, is a time where people in many countries celebrate to remember the dead, including saints and martyrs. As the years passed, classic monsters such as Dracula, Frankenstein, Witches, and others were born and began to change religious and cultural holidays. Now on Halloween night. these monsters roam the nights in the form of gleeful children and go around houses asking for tricks or treats. Halloween today is a festival where all kids get as many sweets as they want. This year, however, will mark the appearance of a very unique All Hallows’ Eve.  

2020 has been a harsh year and we can all agree about that. Since the rise of the COVID-19 pandemic, many events have been cancelled from game shows to comic cons and even some sports. With more than seven million positive cases in the U.S., the coronavirus is still feasting on our fears and stubbornness for those who do not follow the proper regulations to stay COVID-19 free. Halloween will be dangerous this year since the virus is still growing and increasing every day. 

According to the CDC. traditional Halloween activities such as trick-or-treating, trunk-or-treating, and indoor parties can put people at high risks to contract the virus. To ensure everyone’s safety the CDC recommends, “… Avoid direct contact with trick-or-treaters. Give out treats outdoors, if possible. Set up a station with individually bagged treats for kids to take. Wash Hands before handling treats. Wear a mask.” 

This is not the first time the spooky season has had to deal with a pandemic. In 1918, Halloween was celebrated during the peak of the influenza pandemic, but it resulted in more than 21,000 deaths. According to a report from Dallas, Texas during the Halloween of 1918 brought into attention by CNN, “Members of the Dallas police and the attendants at the Emergency Hospital are breathing sighs of relief at the passing of Halloween with its din, noise, pranks and accidents.” With COVID-19, it might not kill 21,000 people on Halloween but it might put another million or so in positive cases. Without celebrations, the U.S. is seeing a minimum of 50,000 cases per day. In a week, it would be around 350,000 cases. On Halloween, it might rise to at least 70,000 cases per day, or about 500,000 cases per week. It will take us at least two to three weeks to retain it, resulting in a million or so positive cases. 

Los Angeles County has issued an order to make a “silent Halloween,” a Halloween that lacks parties, and people will not be allowed on the streets. In my opinion, I would say it is better to cancel Halloween this year. Instead of letting children go around asking for candy, you could just buy enough for yourself and children. For next year, hopefully COVID-19 will be destroyed and everyone can celebrate a double Halloween. In the end, it is no longer a day to remember the dead, but a day to be monsters. As Corrina LaPlante, an student here at Eastern states, “It is not worth it risking, is it?”