Exploring the Streets of Black Neighborhoods

Malek Y. Allari Staff Writer

During the summer, the United States witnessed Black Lives Matter (BLM) protests all across the country after George Floyd’s death. The protests were peaceful and violent. It has been stressful facing racial injustice in the midst of a global pandemic. Although I won’t be writing about the protests, I will be writing about a book that touched on the racial injustice subject: “The Hate U Give” by Angie Thomas, a magnificent and wonderful author. The book is a story that found its way among the stars.  

Published in February 2017, the story moved to a major motion picture in October 2018. The book is about Starr Carter, a young teen, who witnessed her childhood friend get killed by a police officer who accidentally believed that he was in possession of a gun.  Starr’s behavior turned around as she mourned her deceased friend. She recalled the memory of her other friend who was shot in the middle of a street when they were 6. The story is about her life, which touched on her friend who passed away, the parents decision to move to a white neighborhood, and the moment that she used her voice at a protest to bring justice to her friend. What helped her was knowing how to choose the right friends and to stay away from the toxicity of the case. 

As much as I want to discuss the ending of the movie, I won’t because it is frustrating spoiling a magnificent book. Starr Carter stated, “The truth casts a  shadow over the kitchen—people like us in situations like  this become hashtags, but they rarely get justice. I think we  all wait for that one time, though, that one time when it ends right. Maybe this can be it.” 

Throughout the book, we learned how to find our voices, how to make them heard, and the corruption of the injustice system. Although it is a story built by courage, sacrifice, bravery, pain and suffering, it also helped people find hope inside of their hearts. The hard reality of the story is that it is still happening right now. This book is four hundred and forty-four pages of pure feelings and emotions, which is a story not to be forgotten as well as a story to learn and flourish from, to be conscious about your rights and safety of not only yourself, but your family. 

The good news is that there is a story that is coming in 2021; it is a story about the life of Starr’s father, our hero, who raised a legend. Here are some reviews: “Stunning,” said John Green. “Tragically timely, hard-hitting, and  an ultimate prayer for change,” said Adam Silvera, author of More Happy Than Not.  “Heartbreakingly topical,” said Publisher Weekly. Captain Jack Sparrow said, “It is a MUST read story, for it will teach us  something more valuable than gold and silver.”